The moon two days ago - 1 image attached

William Bottaci

Feb 14, 2024, 9:01:22 AMFeb 14
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
The moon two days ago.
  Age            3d 6h
  Altitude      23.6º
  Diameter    33º 06'

Canon R7 with RF 100-500mm L IS lens (set to 500mm, f/8, 1/100 sec, ISO 400), hand-held stabilised.
A provisionally processed single image.
Given the weather I was lucky to get this in; sandwiched between twilight and incoming high cloud from the west, but at least the atmospheric turbulence (seeing) was reasonable, especially as 6 hours earlier for the Sun, it wasn't.

Viewing through a telescope the 'horns' (polar regions) had several places that were just catching the sunrise, extending well into the regions where it was still dusk; unfortunately not all are visible in this image.

As I first viewed it I could see a thin distinct horizontal line near the top, formed of turbulent air, slowly rippling downwards, and as it descended it slowly broadened and became less distinct. It could only have been from a high-flying aircraft, that I just missed by seconds. It can seem surprising just how long these things last, like water ripples.

Thank you for looking, William

=CanR7_021909_M.jpg (162K)=
CanR7_021909_M.jpg

David Bagnall

Feb 14, 2024, 1:33:40 PMFeb 14
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
wow, great image William! and a nice description of the event of the flyby too 👍

Dave

William Bottaci

Feb 23, 2024, 8:22:05 AMFeb 23
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Dave, I'm glad you liked it.
William

On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 at 18:33, David Bagnall <dbag...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wow, great image William! and a nice description of the event of the flyby too 👍
Dave

2024-01-18

The moon two days ago.
  Age            3d 6h
  Altitude      23.6º
  Diameter    33º 06'

Canon R7 with RF 100-500mm L IS lens (set to 500mm, f/8, 1/100 sec, ISO 400), hand-held stabilised.
A provisionally processed single jpeg image.
CanR7_021909_M.jpg