Messier 78

timc

May 15, 2022, 3:22:37 AM5/15/22
to croydonastro

Attached is an image of the bright reflection nebula Messier 78 in Orion.  This image actually includes 2 reflection nebulae, the smaller NGC 2071 on the left and the larger M78 (NGC 2068) at the centre.  These nebulae are part of the vast Orion Complex of gas and dust 1600 light years away from us.  The nebulae, formed of dark clouds of dust and gas, reflect the blue light of nearby young stars. I imaged the luminance data for this image back in December 2020 but for one reason or another, only finished off getting the colour data in January and March this year. I used a remote robotic telescope in Siding Spring Observatory in Australia operated by itelescope.net to capture the data.

The image consists of the following 600s exposures: Lx9 unbinned, Rx10, Gx8 and Bx8 each binned x2 totalling 350 minutes (5 hours 50 minutes) of imaging time acquired over 6 sessions between 24 December 2020 and 4 March 2022.  The telescope I used was a Planewave 20 inch (0.51m) diameter Corrected Dall-Kirkham reflector astrograph at f4 mounted on a Planewave Ascension 200 HR mount with a FLI PL6303E CCD camera.  I processed the downloaded calibrated sub-exposures in CCD Stack2 with further processing in Photoshop CS5 and Topaz Labs Denoise and Sharpen. Thanks for looking.

Tim C

M78 Nebula T30 BB Final May 2022.jpg

JR

May 15, 2022, 4:24:33 AM5/15/22
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim

That is a great image.  Spot on composition.  You've got 3D detail in the gas clouds, particularly the blue channel where they are clearly layered on top of each other.  I also like the way the darker nebula at the top has come out, with the bright rays emerging from behind.  The red in the top right is intriguing.  What object is that?  Ha comes out as blue in the Hubble palette I think.

You put a lot of work into capturing the data and bringing it all out with the processing.  Well done.

James

Sent from my iPad

[...]

Trish Bloxham

May 15, 2022, 7:40:54 AM5/15/22
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
What a fabulous photo

tcos...@gmail.com

May 17, 2022, 7:28:18 AM5/17/22
to croydo...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for your kind comments, James and Trish. They are much appreciated. I like the way this image has turned out with lots of colour and 3D detail of the nebulosity. Maybe it sounds a bit trite, but one can almost imagine being there.

@ James re your question regarding the feature in the top right of the image, taking a look online I think it might be McNeill’s Nebula, a variable reflection nebula associated with M78 first reported in 2004 by Jay McNeill. See the following link for further details: McNeil's Nebula near M78 (seds.org) I think it could be a potential candidate.

Kind regards

Tim C

JR

May 18, 2022, 3:48:13 AM5/18/22
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Interesting Tim.  Definitely looks like it is the McN nebula on the basis of its position.  Fascinating that its visibility depends on the state of a variable star.  There must be many such nebulae but inevitably elusive.

So well done capturing it and bringing it out in the processing.  Quite a coup.

James

Sent from my iPad