Hamburger Galaxy NGC 3628

timc

Mar 7, 2021, 4:42:46 AM3/7/21
to croydonastro

Attached is my second attempt at imaging the Hamburger Galaxy NGC 3628 (Arp 317) in Leo.  This galaxy lies about 35m light years away and is one of the famous ‘Leo Trio’ galaxies and is the largest but the least bright galaxy in that group (the other galaxies being M65 and M66).  This galaxy is ‘edge on’ to us and gravitational interactions with the other galaxies are warping the ends of NGC 3628’s galactic disc. The image consists of the following sub-exposures: L unbinned 87 x 300s, R and B 34 x 300s, G 33 x 300s binned x 2, making a total of 15 hours 40 minutes of imaging time.  I imaged this galaxy on each of 6 nights between 22 April and 27 April 2020 from my back-garden observatory in Oxted. I used a Celestron Edge 11 HD operating at f/10 with a Moravian Instruments G2 8300 CCD camera, a Paramount MX and Lodestar 2 guide camera.  Image capture was done with Maxim DL and I used CCD Stack2 and Photoshop CS5 for further processing.  Thanks for looking.

Tim C

Hamburger Galaxy NGC 3628 Edge11 BB G28300 no FR March 20201 FInal.jpg

JR

Mar 7, 2021, 8:38:51 AM3/7/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Amazing Tim.  Quite something to get such a good results on the detail of the dust lane and the colour.  One to be proud of.   It shows just how good skilful non professional imaging and processing can be.  Nearly 16 hrs is a huge amount of time and dedication.

James

Sent from my iPad

[...]

tcos...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2021, 3:45:44 PM3/8/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for your kind comments James. Much appreciated as always.

Kind regards

Tim

trevsie7

Mar 8, 2021, 3:52:12 PM3/8/21
to 'J R' via croydonastro
A wonderful image Tim.  I don't know how you got so many clear nights in a row, you must have much better local weather than Caterham.
With galaxy season approaching I hope to get some practise on some of the more distant ones.

tcos...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2021, 4:10:51 PM3/8/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Trev. Thanks for your comments re the Hamburger. We must get better weather in Oxted because we are not so high up (-:  If you remember last Spring in the relatively early days of lockdown we had very good sunny weather for quite a while. I obviously tried to make the most of it. Good luck with imaging galaxies - they make lovely targets. You’ve got a Celestron 9.25 haven’t you? That should be good for imaging individual galaxies.

Cheers

Tim C

Trev S

Mar 8, 2021, 4:29:47 PM3/8/21
to croydonastro
I did try one last night, I will post it soon hopefully.