Hores head nebula

Kevin Phillips

Feb 5, 2022, 7:31:56 AM2/5/22
to CAS Forum
Good day everyone  had the opportunity to capture the hores head nebula. 45 lights at 5 min exposure. I use Lenhsnce filter which made a big difference towards the image. I understand that small nebula below is nearly always bloated out.
The wind wad uo a but so I didn't use the pillar in order yo keep the scope low down, now and again the wind blows and you can see on phd2 histogram  as the wave lines shot up. Any comments or suggestions and questions. Thank you. Kevin P
hores head nebula.jpg

JR

Feb 6, 2022, 4:42:27 AM2/6/22
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin

That is a great image, the horse head itself being very clear and in real close up.  That element compares to a photo I saw as a boy taken by the Palomar telescope!

Re your request for suggestions, have your tried looking at a monochrome version.  They invariably reveal what detail is in the image.  This gives clues as to what could be drawn out of a colour image.  The so called 'curtains' above the horse head might be pulled out more strongly for instance.  Reducing saturation/raising exposure level might do that.

James

Sent from my iPad

On 5 Feb 2022, at 12:31, Kevin Phillips <thewels...@live.com> wrote:

Good day everyone  had the opportunity to capture the hores head nebula. 45 lights at 5 min exposure. I use Lenhsnce filter which made a big difference towards the image. I understand that small nebula below is nearly always bloated out.
The wind wad uo a but so I didn't use the pillar in order yo keep the scope low down, now and again the wind blows and you can see on phd2 histogram  as the wave lines shot up. Any comments or suggestions and questions. Thank you. Kevin P

Kevin Phillips

Feb 6, 2022, 6:22:47 AM2/6/22
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you James, for your kind comments,  I am still learning, and boy ther is a lot to learn

Feb 6, 2022, 3:44:39 PM2/6/22
to croydo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Kevin

I agree with James - that ‘s a very nice image of the Horsehead. The focussing is spot on and the horsehead itself is very well defined. I would agree with James to maybe reduce colour saturation a bit to try to pull out the ‘curtains’ which should be there in the data. Also, I’m not sure what processing software you are using but perhaps you can try to dial back the brightness of the stars a bit which seem a little bright to me. If you can use a star mask (or equivalent in your software) that will enable you to make changes to the nebula and background without affecting the stars and vice versa.

Cheers

Tim C

Feb 6, 2022, 6:37:18 PM2/6/22
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Tim I will try that, because its my first attempt, the data us there but I am uncertain what you mean the curtain. But I xan dim the stars and use less saturation and see what that will do.
Thank you for your kind advice. Kev.

I think I am getting g better. Processing is never east, that takes time in it self to master.
Jun 14, 2022, 1:34:12 PM6/14/22
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Kevin, a very good first attempt at this object, and it's not that easy as the head is hard to discern but it really stand out here. Also good focusing as evident by the small stars.
I too agree - a nice deep red colour but perhaps too red which means saturated. If the saturation is reduced it'll go more towards pink and reveal more detail; the 'curtain' being the filamentary structure above the head (in the sky the horse is looking upwards so you could try rotating the image to the right, then the curtain would be to the right, but still 'above' the head.

Software used is Deep Sky Stacker and then StarTools (about £35 to £40 for lifetime use and 2 years of free updates).

It was windy and guiding struggled but coped. No need for a pillar as the horsehead is never high up here in the UK.
Thanks for sharing.
William