The Sun today - 2 images attached

William Bottaci

Feb 23, 2024, 9:49:55 AMFeb 23
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Today's Sun:
  Altitude     27º
  Diameter   32º 20'
  Distance    0.989 AU (we are closest in winter, January 3rd)

Another naked-eye sunspot group, the second this month, and once again with such recent weather I was wondering if we'd ever see it. It doesn’t seem to have changed size since it came around the limb so looks like it'll maintain its size for a while yet, it just needs to be clear.

Canon R7 with RF 100-500mm L IS lens (set to 500mm, f/8, 1/125 sec, ISO 100), hand-held stabilised. Baader solar film filter.

A provisionally processed single image and the workflow for this follows the procedure as before; I think it's the best I know, but if anyone has alternate ideas I'll be pleased to know, and I can provide the original image for anyone to work on - and it just occurred to me to also include a jpeg of what it looked like after rotation and cropping but nothing else.

 - First expose to be not quite over-exposed;
 - Rotate to upright;
 - Levels, stretch 'histogram';
 - Colour, remove;
 - Brightness: decrease;
 - Contrast: increase;
 - Sharpening: local sharpening on the sunspots only.

In my last post of the Sun on the 12th February I forgot to include the two steps of brightness and contrast, which I've included here.

There are three groups just coming round the eastern (left) side and a couple of small groups about to leave.
The atmosphere was a lot steadier today than 11 days ago; it really makes a difference.

Thank you for looking, William

=CanR7_022101_M.jpg (179K)=
=CanR7_022101_Mo.jpg (142K)=
CanR7_022101_M.jpg