M51

Kevin Phillips

May 9, 2022, 10:35:19 AM5/9/22
to CAS Forum
I capture this image last night. 33 frams at 4 min exposure plus calibration frame. I slowly used am Lenhance filter. The image was process in startiools and photoshop.
Still git a lot to kearn. But compare from two months ago and two years ago, this ine is much Miles better.
Regards Kevin.

M51.jpg

paul stenning

May 9, 2022, 10:58:29 AM5/9/22
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Your pictures certainly have improved learning the techniques has  payed off well for you, well done Kevin keep up the good work.

Graham Cluer (CAS)

May 9, 2022, 11:07:55 AM5/9/22
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Another excellent image.  I love the colours

Graham Cluer

tcos...@gmail.com

May 10, 2022, 3:56:06 PM5/10/22
to croydo...@googlegroups.com

That’s a very nice image Kevin. The colours are really good and the image is nice and bright with plenty of detail. Great to see the improvement in the images you are producing so keep up the good work!

Best wishes

Tm C

Kevin Phillips

May 10, 2022, 6:09:25 PM5/10/22
to croydo...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Tim, very nice for you to say so,  it takes time to learn to process amd it will continue to get better.

Kevin

Sent from Mail for Windows

William Bottaci

May 11, 2022, 12:31:55 PM5/11/22
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
This is a much better image than your last one; well done.
Focus is better, nice tight stars, good detail in the galaxy and I like the colours.
Awkward to image as Messier 51 is high up at this time of year, which is good optically, but on a medium length refractor the camera comes up against the tripod pillar (be a lot worse without that extension pillar). Perhaps a meridian flip would help; we can look at that after the polar alignment but before the star alignment.

Astronomical twilight is from 9:20 pm to 11:30 pm and with a half moon not too far away it's worth starting at say 10 pm and if the early frames are too early you can pick a frame starting point and discard the earlier ones. A lot depends on the processing but with the Optolong L-eNhance Narrowband Deep Sky Imaging Filter you could be lucky - the idea is to get as many frames in before the pillar gets in the way. Another idea is to pause the imaging until M51 has cleared around the other side, and it'll still be high and in a darker sky.

Whilst a galaxy uses the full light spectrum the use and choice of this filter is negate light pollution, and moon glow to some extent. It also accentuates the nebulae in the arms and it looks like that has worked.

Again, a pleasing image; well done and thanks for sharing.
William

On Mon, 9 May 2022 at 15:58, paul stenning <paulste...@gmail.com> wrote:
Your pictures certainly have improved learning the techniques has  payed off well for you, well done Kevin keep up the good work.

On Mon, 9 May 2022 at 15:35, Kevin Phillips <thewels...@live.com> wrote:
M51.jpg

Kevin Phillips

May 11, 2022, 4:15:38 PM5/11/22
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you William, good comments
 Like to figure away to continue image pass the pillar before it gers to it.
Regards kevin

May 17, 2022, 9:48:22 AM5/17/22
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Lovely photo Kevin, love the colours and clarity. Hope you and your family are happy and well. Xx