M42 Orion Nebula and Sh2-279 Running Man Nebula

Trev S

Jan 25, 2021, 8:59:21 AM1/25/21
to croydonastro
With the lack of clear skies recently, I have been looking back at some of my early images.  The attached image was taken on the 28th of December 2016 using my Canon Eos 700D.  My early attempts at processing it were done using DSS and Photoshop but this time I processed it using Astro  Pixel Processor.  The results are much improved.

I took some short exposures to get details of the central part of M42 including the trapeze and some longer exposures to get details of the fainter nebulae.  I then combined them using Photoshop layer masks to give better overall exposure.

Esprit 80ED on AZ-EQ6GT
Canon Eos 700D modified
8x120s
30x60s
10x5s
10x3s
PHD2 guiding
Astro Pixel Processor and Photoshop processing

Thanks for looking

M42-RGB-120&5s_PS2mc.jpg

JR

Jan 26, 2021, 8:07:54 AM1/26/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Very good indeed Trevor.

You may be on to something.  I use the image scheduling routine in SkyX, and the ASCOM drivers have options only for Y, Raw8 and Raw16.  I will investigate.

James

Sent from my iPad

On 25 Jan 2021, at 14:06, Trev S <trevs...@gmail.com> wrote:

<M42-RGB-120&5s_PS2mc.jpg>

trevsie7

Jan 26, 2021, 3:20:06 PM1/26/21
to 'J R' via croydonastro
Maybe you could try taking a daylight image using SharpCap with RGB24, RAW8 & RAW16 and see if the same problem occurs?

tcos...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2021, 3:46:46 PM1/26/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Trev

That’s a very nice image. You’ve managed to combine the overwhelmingly bright trapezium area with the rest of the nebula and achieve a pleasing result. I agree it’s worthwhile to take a look at data taken a while back to have another go at processing if obvious improvements can be made, particularly as one’s skill and experience at processing develops over time.

Cheers

Tim C

JR

Jan 26, 2021, 5:21:32 PM1/26/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Good idea

James

Sent from my iPad

William Bottaci

Feb 5, 2021, 8:02:55 AM2/5/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Trevor, that's one of the better images I've seen of this
nebula. As Tim says you've combined the sets of images very well.
Layer masking is a technique that makes a big difference with nebulae
and galaxies, even the Moon - objects with a wide brightness range. If
our eyes see the core of M31 Andromeda reasonably well, and the arms
not at all, then it's required if a camera is going to do it justice.
With the Moon it's a lot more obvious, comparing what we see with the
resultant image. Just one more thing to learn ... where will it end?

Interesting choice of exposure times; two groups of two. I see how it
makes sense.

For Kevin and I using SharpCap, our option is RAW12 rather than RAW16,
but I think the camera is deciding this - an Altair HC 183C. Funny how
with some people they see RAW8 and RAW16 but we see only RAW12. It
seems to be the camera but I'm not entirely convinced. The 183C is
12-bit but stretches to 16-bit when outputting as .FITS files.

I prefer this image over others that may have been taken with better
equipment and skies; the 'HDR' effect is more realistic.

Thanks for sharing.
William

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 at 22:21, 'JR' via croydonastro
<croydo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Good idea
James

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 at 20:20, trevsie7 <trevs...@gmail.com> wrote:
Maybe you could try taking a daylight image using SharpCap with RGB24,
RAW8 & RAW16 and see if the same problem occurs?

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 at 13:07, 'JR' via croydonastro