Satellites ii

Martin Gaiger

Jan 17, 2024, 2:22:21 AMJan 17
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Good morning all,

A further update on yesterday evenings string of satellites.

Launched on January 15th from Cape Canaveral.

"One member of simultaneously launched cluster of 23 V2 minis LEO Broadband communication satellites from Space X aimed at 550km altitude separated from the launch vehicle at 01:56 UTC". Orbital Focus.

Martin

William Bottaci

Jan 18, 2024, 11:58:51 AMJan 18
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Martin
Just before that time I was imaging the Moon but didn't have any
binoculars. Perhaps the path would have been close to the Moon if just
below Jupiter; currently the Moon is a little higher, but I finished
just before they would have come over.
Shows what can be seen by just looking opportunistically.
Right now these two are very close, getting closer throughout the night.

A few years ago whilst looking at Cassiopeia I saw several satellites
travelling west to east; one was not a surprise but when I saw several
more and all close together I wondered for a while before realising
what they had to be.

I'll be imaging in about 20 minutes as the sky will be close to an
hour after sunset then.
Thanks for sharing.
William
On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 at 18:08, 'Martin Gaiger' via croydonastro
<croydo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Good evening all,
Did any body else see a string of about 30 satellites pass south of
Jupiter heading east at about 17:50 this evening.
Martin Gaiger

Martin Gaiger

Jan 18, 2024, 3:54:18 PMJan 18
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Good evening William,

I must be honest, I did not notice the Moon, just this string of satellites sailing just below Jupiter heading east.
I was actually putting the bins out for the dustmen at the time.
I was in the right place at the right time.

Martin

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/croydonastro/CAHfnR26E8Gks%3DHtWYs7g8_ObYcFEOW_O1fJTQ%2BWk9z91Vzc%3DQA%40mail.gmail.com.

Graham Cluer (CAS)

Jan 18, 2024, 5:16:30 PMJan 18
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
I had a look on Stellarium for activity at that time.  Dozens of
satellites going in all directions.

Graham Cluer