Council for the Protection of Rural England - Orion Star Count 2021

William Bottaci

Feb 5, 2021, 8:20:16 AM2/5/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
This is the time of year when volunteers are required to monitor the
extent of light pollution.
The CPRE 's Orion Star Count 2021
6th - 14th February 2021

Requires a clear night, between Saturday 6th Feb. and Sunday 14th Feb.
and a clear view of the constellation of Orion. Wait until your eyes
become dark adapted and then count all the stars you can see, by naked
eye, within the main body of the hunter constellation.

Details here:
https://www.cpre.org.uk/what-we-care-about/nature-and-landscapes/dark-skies/star-count-2021/#:~:text=Join%20in%20by%20choosing%20a,doorstep%20or%20even%20bedroom%20window.

The CPRE uses this data to provide evidence for their Campaign for
Dark Skies. They will collate all of our readings from different
areas, and compare with previous years to show how light pollution is
worsening. We all want to see this campaign succeed in pressuring the
Government to introduce planning legislation to reduce external
lighting at night. Then hopefully we will all get a chance to see more
of our own Milky Way with its star clusters and nebulae as well as
distant galaxies, and in better contrast through our telescopes.

It’s a nice easy opportunity for stargazing, no equipment required,
and an activity for the whole family, as well as an activity that can
be carried out from your garden or nearby.

William