NGC 6992

Kevin Phillips

Jun 24, 2024, 4:28:09 AMJun 24
to croydo...@googlegroups.com

Good day all
I had a go at the East view nebula
Equipment used
5min x29 lights
40 darks at -10
40 flats
40 dark flats
60mm horizon refractor duplet pl53 glass.
Heq5 mount
Zwoasi294 colour camera
60mm svbony guide scope
Altair mono guide camera.
L extreme filter
Bortle sky 4
Process in startools and photo shop.
I had no idea how big it was, so next time I will use my 60mm refractor horizon.
Moon was out and I was pleased how the image came out.
Sent from Outlook for Android
1000046651.jpg

paul stenning

Jun 24, 2024, 5:56:50 AMJun 24
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
looks like another good shot.

William Bottaci

Jun 25, 2024, 10:48:47 AMJun 25
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Kevin
Another good attempt. Small tight stars, so good optics, and guiding (well at least good tracking and stacking :). There are some nice close stars yet still distinct.

You used the right filter as the Opt L Pro would be too broad; and not good with a moon. However, the nebula also shines in sulphur, which is in the Pro but missing in the L extreme - but you can't have everything. Actually you can but it'll cost. I've just had a quick look, couldn’t find any narrow band single filters that do all three, but some sources imply you need to combine two filters for colour imaging, and of course one each for mono cameras. Those that did say their filter can do all three but did not specify the bandpass nor show the graph, are clearly broadband.
Implying without being specific, we seem to be hearing a lot of that these days...

So, in your case you could try the Opt L Pro but not in summer and not with a moon. A dawn spring or an early autumn perhaps.
An issue with Hydrogen alpha and Sulphur II is that they are both naturally red colours, so they won't be distinct. The way out is to re-colour one of them but that means using a mono camera.

Well done, and thank you for sharing.
William

On Mon, 24 Jun 2024 at 10:56, paul stenning <paulste...@gmail.com> wrote:
looks like another good shot.