The Sun, 3 days - 2 images

William Bottaci

May 29, 2024, 4:20:26 PMMay 29
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
It's back! The large sunspot group of 3 weeks ago, responsible for the local aurora, has gone around the sun and not only still exists but remains large.
The forecasts this morning showed next to no chance of visibility but of all things the short spell of sunshine for mere minutes coincided with just having returned home.
I also had an opportunity 3 days ago.

  Altitude      56º
  Diameter   31º 35'
  Distance    1.014 AU (we are closest in winter, January 3rd)

Although there was sunshine there was also passing clouds which plays havoc with temperature and therefore seeing; it was turbulent but the right moment couldn’t be chosen.

Canon R7 with RF 100-500mm L IS lens with x1.4 tele-extender (700mm), f/10, 1/250 sec, ISO 160, hand-held stabilised. Baader solar film filter.

An improved processed combination of several jpg images, which dealt somewhat with the turbulence, and the balance of brightness and contrast seems better. On this occasion I also used a radial gradient to even out the brightness between centre and limb, but maybe I should leave some difference as it does in fact exist.

Needs to be viewed at 100% size for the extra detail, and I think most if not all browsers show a 'quick' degraded image unless downloaded.

Thank you for looking, William

=CanR7_032154_M2-160.jpg (203K)=
=CanR7_032246_M2-160.jpg (191K)=
CanR7_032154_M2-160.jpg
CanR7_032246_M2-160.jpg

trevsie7

May 29, 2024, 4:31:14 PMMay 29
to 'J R' via croydonastro
Two very nice images William. May I ask what software you use to process them?

William Bottaci

May 29, 2024, 6:22:17 PMMay 29
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Trevor, thank you for your comment.

I use nothing impressive at all: Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 from 2012 (because it's a free download) with the steps mentioned on the 25th April. After choosing the tool it's then in the settings for each.

For the CR3 raw files I'll be using Serif Affinity Photo 2. I've tried RawTherapee, Darktable and GIMP (all free, all excellent), I get much better results which is understandable but they are time consuming so I'm going for the All-In-One solution from Serif, at a one-off very reasonable price. The result from the raw file shows granulation which doesn’t show in the jpeg, but it's still something.
I haven’t shown the raw results yet on this forum, I'd rather show what can be done with the humble jpeg to encourage others, and for free regardless of using jpeg or raw file.

A significant result is the prior processing to reduce turbulence. It works on just a few images, takes just a fraction of a second and I now don’t have to worry about the seeing, but unfortunately isn’t commercial or public; shame. However, if taking a lot more images there could well be one that is steady across the whole face and that would do.

The images are reduced to 1600 pxs square from 2020 and they should be viewed as such to see the detail therein.

I hope this helps.
William

On Wed, 29 May 2024 at 21:31, trevsie7 <trevs...@gmail.com> wrote:
Two very nice images William. May I ask what software you use to process them?

2024-05-29
=CanR7_029565_M2-U-160.jpg (K)=
=CanR7_029565_M2-U-180_120.jpg (K)=
CanR7_032154_M2-160.jpg