Crab Nebula (James) and my attempt at the Flaming Star Nebula

Robert Chandler

Mar 31, 2021, 8:28:12 AM3/31/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com

James,

I tried this target last night also and got pretty much the same view and not the colourful image as I have seen previously and from social media, so I gave up and moved on. I thought it was my lens fogging up, wonky connection on the dew heater

Trev attached is my attempt at IC405 – Flaming Star Nebula from last night (screen capture from live stacking on ASIAIR pro app). I have not processed this and it comprised of around 50 x 120s of imaging time using the ASI294MC OSC camera on the RASA 8.

Robert

Mar 31, 2021, 3:31:01 PM3/31/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Robert your unprocessed sub of the Flaming Star/Olympic torch is nice. With 50 subs processed you should have a really nice image. Re your attempt at the Crab, do you use a dew shield with your RASA? I don’t know if that’s possible with a camera screwed to the corrector plate at the top.  I was imaging last night too and it was cold!  A Schmidt Cassegrain without a dew shield will be a magnet for dew on the corrector plate. A dew heater on its own will probably not be enough protection on such nights.

Cheers

Tim C

image001.jpg

Robert Chandler

Mar 31, 2021, 4:48:37 PM3/31/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,
Yes I was using a combined (flexi) dew shield heater that fits over the top and bottom rails.
I also have a similar one for my Edge HD8.
Robert

Apr 16, 2021, 5:10:02 PM4/16/21
to croydonastro
Hi Robert, That is nicely framed and well focussed.  It looks like you need some more exposure to bring out the detail though.

Robert Chandler

Apr 16, 2021, 5:46:11 PM4/16/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Trev for your comments. Work and weather have not allowed me to image recently. Now that Galaxy Season is with us I hope to start imaging soon.
Robert

Hi Robert, That is nicely framed and well focussed.  It looks like you need some more exposure to bring out the detail though.

tcos...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2021, 8:10:35 AM4/17/21
to croydo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Robert

We’re having some very good nights at the moment and the Moon is still relatively out of the way, so a good time to image!

KR

Tim C