An Invitation to Support CONTACT: a gathering in New York Oct. 20th, 2011... participating in the creation of the New Paradigm!!

Suresh Fernando

Aug 8, 2011, 11:39:39 AM8/8/11
to SocialFinance, contac...@googlegroups.com, building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com, openk...@googlegroups.com, crowdsourcing...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone!

I have been engaged by the Tomorrow Project LLC, to assist them with garnering additional financial support for the upcoming Contact Conference in New Work on Oct. 20, 2011. Details can be found in this slide deck.

We all know that there needs to be a paradigm shift if we are to address issues of global concern.

Many of us also have a sense that in this highly networked world, the rules of the game are totally different. Join us in exploring precisely how things are different and how we can collaborate to usher in the New Paradigm; one that will provide a foundation for global peace and prosperity for all!

In the coming days, I would like to arrange a time to speak with as many people and institutions as possible about both providing financial support for, as well as attending, the gathering! Here are a few things to consider:

Key Themes
The internet and networked communications is changing everything! We are moving into a new world where that will impact how we interact, how organizations are run, how business is conducted, how we produce and distribute material good  and so on. At Contact there will be representation from experts in the following areas:
  • Social Networking and Social Media Tools
  • P2P Technologies
  • Open Collaboration
  • Open Manufacturing
  • Commons Based Governance Models
  • Alternative Currencies
  • Government 2.0
  • Social Innovation
  • Crowdsourcing
  • Social Finance
  • Arts, new media and culture
  • ... and more!
Many Many Change Agents, revolutionaries, technologists, academics all in one place!!
There will be many extremely interesting and accomplished people from many different domains. Details can be found in the Contact Participants List.

What Makes Contact Different
: not just another conference!
We also recognize that in the networked world that we live in, an isolated event need only be one event in a larger change process. We have the ability, with the the Internet, social media tools etc. to be a part of an ongoing global change process!

Collaborate with us to construct and finance projects that make sense for your organization and that can be aligned with the efforts of other change agents that we are collaborating with!

See the attached sponsorship document for the established details... remember that we are creative and flexible!

Registration
You can register for the event here!

I look forward to exploring opportunities...

Regards,

--
Suresh Fernando
BLOG, YOUTUBE, OK WEBSITE, OK FAN PAGE, OK GROUP, OK-WE, PHILOSOPHY,  TWITTER,  FACEBOOK, WOTW FAN PAGE LINKEDIN, SLIDESHARE

-------ProM: Climate Change Project Matching System------
Project Description: http://cotw.cc/wiki/Project_Matching
To Join: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/cc-pms
Workstreams: http://cotw.cc/wiki/CC-PMS_etherpad_index

ContactSponsorship_ 08.06.11.docx

Suresh Fernando

Aug 8, 2011, 7:15:16 PM8/8/11
to Tom Dawkins, Alex Budak, crowdsourcing...@googlegroups.com, Joe Brewer
Hey Tom - thanks for the positive feedback.

This is a part of the crowdsourcing research project that Joe Brewer and I funded via crowdsourcing!

The idea is that what we create is open source, so the short answer is yes to re-use under cc license.

I will also give you and Alex edit rights to spreadsheet. Please feel free to add columns with new data fields and also modify existing relating to your group (StartSomeGood... for the benefit of the others in crowdsourcing group), but leave data relating to other groups intact for now. If you want to add comments where you feel there are errors, feel free.

Obviously if you, or others, want to dig into this in more depth we certainly encourage collaboration!

Suresh

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Tom Dawkins <tomda...@gmail.com> wrote:
The taxonomy is great! Just had a really good look at it.

A couple of small notes: 33needs is in the same vertical as us, social good. And we're not focused on for profit, we simply allow them. The considerable majority of all projects so far have been non-profit.

Great job with this, it's a wonderful resource! Is it available to use/remix on a cc license or similar?

Cheers,

Tom

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Alex Budak <Al...@startsomegood.com> wrote:
Hey Suresh--
Wow that looks like a really interesting conference -- some super impressive speakers for sure!  As Tom mentioned I'm in DC, and just a few hour (wi-fi enabled!) bus away from NYC so I'd definitely be interested in learning more about attending.

Thanks, also, for the crowdfunding taxonomy -- that must have been a lot of work, but it's a really great project.  Isn't it amazing the proliferation of new crowdfunding sites?  Here's one I just came across recently that you might want to look into adding: http://www.ckie.com/

Cheers,
Alex

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Tom Dawkins <tomda...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Suresh,

Contact Conference looks great! Really interesting speakers and topics. I wouldn't be able to make it myself by Alex is based in DC so it may well be possible for him - I've cc-ed him here.

Re Ashoka NY, I actually don't know anyone in NY. I would suggest speaking to Changemakers but I can't recommend a person their either, the top three people I knew have all left since I was there. Best just to give them a call. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I'll definitely check out the taxonomy you linked to, thanks!

Cheers!

Tom

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Suresh Fernando <sures...@gmail.com> wrote:
Tom,

See the email below for details on what promises to be a very interesting event in NY with larger possibilities... I`d like to extend an invitation to you and the SSG team to attend this event. I am responsible for sponsorship as well so if you have any suggestions as to institutions to approach that would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, you might be interested in this Crowdfunding Taxonomy document that I have been working on as well as the crowdfunding Google group that I set up.

Finally, I am interested in approaching Ashoka New York office to both attend and sponsor CONTACT. Can you please let me know whom to follow  up with.

Thanks!

Suresh

www.about.me/tomjd
@tomjd
Cell: 347 371 2887.
Skype: tjdawkins
www.StartSomeGood.com
"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision." - Faithless