Crowdfunding Taxonomy Spreadsheet and Preliminary Thoughts

1 view

Suresh Fernando

Jul 15, 2011, 12:53:17 PM7/15/11
to crowdsourcing...@googlegroups.com, building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com, contac...@googlegroups.com, openk...@googlegroups.com, SocialFinance
Hey Everyone...

I have created a Google Spreadsheet with the various crowdfunding projects that I have taken a look at. I have invited, and given edit rights to, a few of you that have already shown interest.

Please let us know if you want to collaborate on this aspect of the project. I can give you edit rights!

The larger objective is to analyze this space so that we can figure out what sort of model we can develop to support change agents and those that are seeking early stage funding for projects. By and large those that are working on truly innovative projects have a hard time raising the initial $20K or so which can make a huge difference....

My thoughts on the early stage social finance space are roughly as follows:
  • There is no where near enough money for pre-proof of concept projects (those that are at a highly speculative stage in their evolution
  • There needs to be a much wider dispersion of smaller amounts of funds as opposed to big chunks going to a few 'scalable' projects
  • Crowdfunding is ideal for raising smaller chunks of money...
  • The music industry is developing an interesting model that involves more direct fan engagement with the projects. I think this model needs to be understood and generalized. The important feature is that the funder/fundee relationship is naturally bridged. How can we, as change agents, learn from this model?
  • None of the models have much in the way of collaboration infrastructure that is designed to connect and evolve a partnership between funder and fundee
  • Virtually none of the models are set up to accommodate for recurring revenue. Instead of trying to raise $10 for a singular project, doesn't it make more sense to try to raise $20/month from 1000 people?
  • Virtually none of the models support pooling of funding resources: this is natural in a crowdfunding model, but it might be worth considering crowdfunding and investment pool that will..
  • Focus on financing pools of synergistic projects... the theory of which I discuss in the Ecosystem Pooled Fund Model
Let me know what you think...

Suresh Fernando
BLOG, YOUTUBE, OK WEBSITE, OK FAN PAGE, OK GROUP, OK-WE, PHILOSOPHY,  TWITTER,  FACEBOOK, WOTW FAN PAGE LINKEDIN, SLIDESHARE

-------ProM: Climate Change Project Matching System------
Project Description: http://cotw.cc/wiki/Project_Matching
To Join: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/cc-pms
Workstreams: http://cotw.cc/wiki/CC-PMS_etherpad_index

Suresh Fernando

Jul 18, 2011, 11:34:52 AM7/18/11
to socialfinan...@googlegroups.com, crowdsourcing...@googlegroups.com, openk...@googlegroups.com
Jonathan,

Thanks for checking in. I was just reading about the Big Venture Challenge... It's great that UnLtd is focusing on the early stage of the funding cycle.

As should be obvious from our conversations in the past, all the things I have been working on within the social finance space, as well as my recent foray into exploring the crowdsourcing space, the problem that I think needs to be solved if we really want to scale the number of social finance projects, is at seed financing level.

There needs to be more high risk capital; capital that is usually allocated by 'angel' investors in the traditional funding cycle.

I'd like to extend my research to full coverage of this space.

Would you, or anyone else, be able to point us to organizations anywhere in the world (or lists, research etc.) that provide high risk capital to social entrepreneurs?

Any help in better understanding the nuances of this space would be appreciated. In keeping with everything I do, this info will be made available to everyone and will be set up in an open collaboration space.

Regards,

Suresh

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:57 AM, Jonathan Jenkins <Jonatha...@unltd.org.uk> wrote:

Useful summary...

Jonathan Jenkins
Director of Ventures

123 Whitecross Street
Islington

London EC1Y 8JJ

www.UnLtd.org.uk

Tel: 020 7566 1108
Fax: 0207 566 1101
Mob:
075 4593 3818

Jonatha...@unltd.org.uk

The information contained in and accompanying this communication has been provided via email at your request and may be confidential, subject to legal privilege, or otherwise protected from disclosure, and is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) of this communication, please delete and destroy all copies in your possession, notify Jonatha...@unltd.org.uk that you have received this communication in error, and note that any review or dissemination of, or the taking of any action in reliance on, this communication is expressly prohibited.

E-mail messages are not secure and may contain computer viruses or other defects, may not be accurately replicated on other systems, or may be intercepted, read, and/or amended by unauthorized persons without the knowledge of the sender or the intended recipient. Information sent by email is at your sole risk, and UnLtd (i) makes no warranties in relation to the foregoing matters, (ii) accepts no liability for any effects that they may have including rendering information inaccurate or incomplete and (iii) has no responsibility for any unauthorized access. Please note that UnLtd reserves the right to intercept, monitor and retain e-mail messages to and from its systems as permitted by applicable law. You understand that this communication shall only be deemed to have been delivered upon actual receipt by the intended recipient.

UnLtd is the Foundation for Social Entrepreneurs, a charity registered with the Charity Commission, number 1090393

--
image92614b.bmp@a8e58ff1.91084ef4