20 Ventures That Convinced Lots Of Strangers To Give Them Hundreds Of Thousands Of Dollars

1 view

Suresh Fernando

Jul 13, 2011, 4:35:13 PM7/13/11
to crowdsourcing...@googlegroups.com

Ariel Dougherty

Jul 14, 2011, 12:25:05 PM7/14/11
to crowdsourcing...@googlegroups.com
They all have large community appeal.

Many are devices and people are "buying" the item as a way to get it manufactured:   many purchasers at small amounts can equal big bucks!!

The 2nd largest group is films:  Since 1970 the indie film community has been leading the way to more expansive, diverse views via film.  And clearly there is a paying audience willing to buy a ticket in advance!

3rd seems to be a few design projects.   I personally love innovation and alternatives in design.   It makes our living environment far more rich.

OK -- now to the gender break down among among these projects!

90% are lead by men; 10% by women  ---  interestingly both of these are films.

Hurray! for women filmmakers.  (Especially when you look at "traditional" funding sources for film funding.  This recent announcement of awards by Sundance has women getting just under 40% of the awards---pretty good from past records!   So progress, but we need more.)

Why do so few women directed projects appear on a list like this?

Or, put an entirely different way how might we reframe "achievement" or "rewards" into a more wholistic inclusive community friendly way?

              Best, Ariel
Ariel Dougherty            advocate 4 gendered media                  www.mediaequity.org
575. 894. 1844  fx 575. 894. 1845  Ariel...@gmail.com   Twitter:  MediaEquity
latest piece:  Three Feminist Media Principles: Envisioning a Path to a Less Violent, More Truthful Media
Associate Producer:! Women Art Revolution Lynn Hershman Leeson's documentary on the feminist art movement
    Now showing in cities across the US.  See Zeitgeist Films for schedule