Moving from project ideas to outstanding proposals

Andrew Su

Mar 23, 2012, 8:05:08 PM3/23/12
to crow...@googlegroups.com
Dear prospective participants,

We've had fantastic discussions with many potential GSoC participants.  Speaking on behalf of all the mentors, we are excited by your interest in our projects, and we are looking forward to working with you.

Since the official application period opens up next Monday, it's a good time to emphasize that your goal should be to work toward a detailed and specific project proposal by the April 6 deadline.  This unofficial student guide has a pretty good description of what you should include in your proposal:

   http://booki.flossmanuals.net/GSoCStudentGuide/_draft/_v/1.0/writing-a-proposal/

Your job right now is to write an exceptional project proposal.  Our job (as the mentoring organization and mentors) is to give you feedback and information to help you do that.

The most important criteria that we will use to evaluate proposals are:

1) The Project Plan
  • Describe in detail what you think will be delivered at the end of the program
  • Demonstrate that you know what the overall goals are and who the users are
  • Propose a project of reasonable scope and high impact
  • Outline your path for achieving your plan, including specific milestones
2) Your Qualifications
  • Describe why you are best qualified to implement the vision in The Project Plan
  • Tell us why you are interested in working on this project
  • Send links to and info about related projects that you've completed in the past, especially open-source and multi-developer projects
I hope this context is helpful...

Cheers,
-andrew

Andrew Su

Mar 28, 2012, 9:46:11 AM3/28/12
to crow...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

The applications are starting to trickle in!  We'll be giving feedback on them individually soon if we feel like we want more info.  (And to all who haven't yet submitted -- if you want feedback on your application before the final deadline, submit it early!)

One note to everyone.  I just updated the "Application template" on our GSoC Organization Page with a more specific outline of the information we're looking for.  In particular, make sure you include a detailed project proposal, as described in my previous post in this thread (and copied below as well).  Remember, the overall strength of your proposal is based on a combination of who you are and what you are proposing, so give us all the relevant details on both!

Cheers,
-andrew

Andrew Su

Apr 6, 2012, 1:12:16 PM4/6/12
to crow...@googlegroups.com
Just a reminder that it is now ~17:10 UTC and the application deadline is 19:00 UTC.  So this is that last call for project submissions and revisions...

Cheers,
-andrew

Victoria Zhong

Apr 12, 2013, 12:00:26 AM4/12/13
to crow...@googlegroups.com

 I can't seem to find the link to the application template

Benjamin Good

Apr 12, 2013, 12:16:36 AM4/12/13
to crow...@googlegroups.com
We haven't added the specific template for the application yet.  We will..

2012 GSoC Organization page: http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2012/scripps_crowdbio

GSoC Ideas page: http://sulab.org/gsoc/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Crowdsourcing Biology" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/crowdbio?hl=en.

raisah...@gmail.com

May 3, 2013, 12:10:57 PM5/3/13
to crow...@googlegroups.com
sir,this is my proposed project. i am having some problem in posting my project on google-melange.com
this is my request to acknowledge my project.
                                                                     thanking you,
                                                                                         yours sincerely,
                                                                                         rais ahmed ansari
                                                                                        (google-melange id: raisah...@gmail.com)
2code.doc

Benjamin Good

May 3, 2013, 1:03:38 PM5/3/13
to crow...@googlegroups.com
We received your application in Melange, thanks.

-ben