[CFP] CHI 2024 Workshop on Theory of Mind in Human-AI Interaction | Deadline: Feb 22, 2024

Qiaosi Wang

Feb 9, 2024, 2:00:36 PMFeb 9
to Crowdsourcing and Human Computation
Hi everyone,

We sincerely invite you to submit to our CHI 2024 workshop on “Theory of Mind in Human-AI Interaction” submission deadline February 22, 2024. More information can be found in the CFP below. Thank you!

—------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CFP: ToMinHAI 2024 – 1st Workshop on Theory of Mind in Human-AI Interaction

This hybrid workshop will be held in conjunction with ACM CHI 2024, May 11-16 in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA. Please consider submitting a paper by February 22, 2024. Papers should be 2-6 pages long in ACM double-column format.

*Submission Deadline:
February 22, 2024

*Workshop Website:

*Email Contact:

Theory of Mind (ToM) refers to humans' capability of attributing mental states such as goals, emotions, and beliefs to ourselves and others. This concept has become of great interest in human-AI interaction research. In this hybrid workshop, we seek to bring together researchers working on different perspectives of ToM in human-AI interaction to define a unifying research agenda for Mutual Theory of Mind (MToM) in human-AI interaction (i.e., where both humans and AI possess some levels of ToM-like capability during interactions) through interdisciplinary discussions. We aim to explore three broad topics to inspire workshop discussions:

  1. Designing and building AI's ToM-like capability,
  2. Understanding and shaping human's ToM in human-AI interaction, and
  3. Envisioning MToM in human-AI interaction.

We encourage academic and industry researchers from various disciplines to contribute position papers, short literature reviews, and in-progress empirical studies to shape the discourse around ToM in human-AI interaction. Submissions are encouraged, but not limited to, the following topics:

  • Conceptual discussions of ToM in human-AI interaction, including how to define and measure ToM in both human and AI during interactions
  • Design approaches for imparting effective mental models of AI systems with ToM-like capabilities
  • Empirical evaluations of humans’ mental state attribution behaviors (e.g., anthropomorphism) to AI
  • Technical approaches for operationalizing, building, modeling, and measuring AI’s ToM-like capability
  • Critical examinations of the impact of MToM-enabled human-AI interactions

Papers should be submitted via EasyChair and will be evaluated based on quality and relevance to ToM in human-AI interaction. All papers will undergo a single-blind peer review (i.e. author names and affiliations should be listed). Upon acceptance, papers will be published on the workshop website. At least one author of each accepted submission must attend the workshop to present the work and all participants must register for both the workshop and for at least one day of the conference.

***Please submit your papers to EasyChair***

IMPORTANT DATES
Paper Submissions: February 22, 2024 AoE
Acceptance Notifications: March 21, 2024
Camera-ready Submissions: March 28, 2024
Workshop Date: May 12, 2024

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
Qiaosi Wang, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Sarah Walsh, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Mei Si, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, USA
Jeffrey Kephart, IBM Research, Yorktown Heights, NY, USA
Justin D. Weisz, IBM Research, Yorktown Heights, NY, USA
Ashok K. Goel, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Qiaosi Wang
Ph.D. candidate in Human-Centered Computing
School of Interactive Computing
Georgia Institute of Technology