BHCC2020 Invitation to Participate

Styliani Kleanthous

Oct 30, 2020, 7:32:38 AM10/30/20
We invite you to attend the 2nd Symposium on Biases in Human Computation and Crowdsourcing (BHCC 2020). This year's event will take place online due to the pandemic On November 10th and 11th 2020 between 13:00 - 16:00 EET.

If you are interested to join us find more information here: https://sites.google.com/sheffield.ac.uk/bhcc-2020/registration?authuser=0

Computation and Crowdsourcing have become ubiquitous in the world of algorithm augmentation and data management. However, humans have various cognitive biases that influence the way they make decisions, remember information, and interact with machines. It is thus important to identify human biases and analyse their effect on complex hybrid systems. On the other hand, the potential interaction with a large pool of human contributors gives the opportunity to detect and handle biases in existing data and systems.

The goal of this symposium is to analyse both existing human biases in hybrid systems, and methods to manage bias via crowdsourcing and human computation. We will discuss different types of biases, measures and methods to track bias, as well as methodologies to prevent and solve bias. An interdisciplinary approach is often required to capture the broad effects that these processes have on systems and people, and at the same time to improve model interpretability and systems’ fairness.

BHCC2020 hosts two interesting and exciting keynote speakers: Dr. Miriam Redi, Wikimedia Foundation with the talk "The Science of Knowledge Integrity – Research at Wikimedia" and Dr. Antonio Fernández Anta, IMDEA Networks with the talk "CoronaSurveys: Using Indirect Reporting to Estimate the Incidence of Epidemics".  In addition, eight interesting paper presentations complete the two days of the event.

We’re looking forward to meeting you at BHCC2020 on the 10th and 11th of November.

On behalf of the organizing committee,

--

Styliani Kleanthous, Ph.D

CyCAT - Cyprus Center for Algorithmic Transparency

Open University of Cyprus

Phone: 22411904

web: http://www.cycat.io

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/styliani-kleanthous/