Workshop Announcement "Perspectives on Hybrid Human–AI Systems. Bringing Together Interdisciplinary Approaches"

Libuše Veprek

Feb 13, 2024, 12:05:51 PMFeb 13
to Crowdsourcing and Human Computation

Dear all,

We would like to draw your attention to the interdisciplinary workshop "Perspectives on Hybrid Human-AI Systems. Bringing Together Interdisciplinary Approaches" which will take place from April 10 to 12, 2024, in Munich, Germany.

The workshop will bring together researchers, experts, and individuals interested in hybrid human-AI systems to discuss how different disciplines understand and address these hybrid systems, and how these individual perspectives can contribute to an interdisciplinary understanding of the collaboration between humans and machines. The full abstract is available below.

We look forward to presentations from cultural and social anthropology, sociology, philosophy and ethics, cognitive science, artificial intelligence, computer science, and media informatics by (in alphabetical order)

Christoph Bareither (University of Tübingen)
Anne Dippel (University of Jena)
Steven Dorrestijn (Saxion University of Applied Sciences)
Orit Halpern (TU Dresden)
Catholijn Jonker (TU Delft)
Gertraud Koch (University of Hamburg)
Pietro Michelucci (Human Computation Institute)
Rainer Mühlhoff (University of Osnabrück)
Albrecht Schmidt (LMU Munich)
Roanne van Voorst (University of Amsterdam)

The complete program, including the Lightning Talk panels, can be found  at https://www.ekwee.uni-muenchen.de/vkee_download/hhais-workshop_program_short.pdf
For further information visit: https://www.ekwee.uni-muenchen.de/aktuelles/veranstaltungen/hybrid-human_ai-systems/index.html.

Participation is free of charge. Registrations are accepted until March 15, 2024, by email at hhais-w...@ekwee.uni-muenchen.de.
Questions can be directed to Libuše Vepřek: libuse...@uni-tuebingen.de

Note: Due to a limited number of places and for sustainability reasons, we ask for a binding registration with a 30 Euro deposit, which will be refunded after the conference. Our experience has shown that often participants register but then do not show up, leading to a significant over-preparation of food and other resources that ultimately go to waste. With this practice, we aim to avoid this as much as possible. If registered guests do not show up, the money will be donated to a social or cultural project.

Johannes Moser, Leonie Thal und Libuše Hannah Vepřek

Perspectives on Hybrid Human-AI Systems. Bringing Together Interdisciplinary Approaches

 Johannes Moser,  Libuše Hannah Vepřek, and Leonie Thal

The research fields of Human Computation and Hybrid Intelligence investigate how the capabilities of humans and computers can be combined in novel ways, thereby overcoming the limitations of today’s strictly computational Artificial Intelligence systems, and yielding the ability to address problems that neither can solve on their own.
Such hybrid human–AI systems are of interest to several scientific disciplines, including computer science, philosophy, sociology, design, and cultural anthropology, as they not only enable new computational and engineering capabilities while posing interesting new problems on their own but also influence societies on a structural level and our everyday life at the micro level. They elicit questions on the human–AI relations in these hybrid systems that are ethical, judicial, social, cultural, logical, algorithmic, practical, and material in nature.
This workshop brings together scholars, experts, and interested parties with an interest in hybrid human–AI systems to learn how different disciplines understand and approach these systems. The aim is to discuss how each discipline can contribute to an interdisciplinary understanding of the collaboration of humans and machines in such hybrid systems. With this workshop, we want to spark new conversations between different disciplines, addressing, among others, the following questions:

  • How does human computation and hybrid intelligence relate to pursuits of and discourses on Artificial General Intelligence / Strong AI?
  • How can we grasp human-technology and societal relations unfolding within these systems?
  • How is trust established and (re)negotiated in such systems?
  • What forms of ethics arise in and with hybrid human-AI systems?
  • What are the unique perspectives of the different disciplines, and how can these inform one another?
  • How can we arrive at understandings that consider the disciplines’ different approaches and modes of reasoning?
  • How can we work together on these topics?

The workshop is organized as part of the research project “Playing in the Loop: New Human-Software Relations in Human Computation Systems and their Impacts on the Spheres of Everyday Life” funded by the German Research Foundation. The Fritz Thyssen Foundation, the Carl Friedrich von Siemens Foundation, and the Münchner Vereinigung für Volkskunde e.V. provide additional funding for the workshop.

April 10–12, 2024
Carl Friedrich von Siemens Foundation
Südliches Schloßrondell 23
80638 Munich, Germany.