Crossplane vs Upbound CRDS

Dominik Wosiński

Mar 16, 2023, 9:21:10 AM3/16/23
to crossplane-dev
Hey,
I've started using Crossplane Providers for AWS, but I can see that there are two repos for `provider-aws` https://github.com/crossplane-contrib/provider-aws and https://github.com/upbound/provider-aws. Both of them seem to be actively developed but both of them have different CRDS. The documentation is using provider by upbound, but I wanted to ask what's the difference between the two and which one should we use in general?

Cheers,
Dom.

Jean du Plessis

Mar 16, 2023, 9:36:03 AM3/16/23
to Dominik Wosiński, crossplane-dev
Hey Dominik

You might want to look at this blog post that details the Upbound providers: https://blog.upbound.io/first-official-providers/

Thanks
Jean du Plessis
Engineering Manager | Upbound.io
I might have different working hours than you. Please don't feel obligated to respond outside of your working hours.

Dominik Wosiński

Mar 16, 2023, 9:45:49 AM3/16/23
to crossplane-dev
Hey,
Thanks for answering. The post explains some things, but doesn't talk much about why are the `classic` providers necessary at all if the `official` ones are more developed and stable. Are there any benefits of using `classic` over `official` providers?

Cheers,
Dom.

Jean du Plessis

Dominik Wosiński