Re: source code

1 view

Clayton Carter

Jul 10, 2008, 7:07:46 AM7/10/08
to Brendan Tuckey, cropplann...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brendan,

(I'm cc'ing the devel mailing list, too.)

There is a brief writeup about working on the source:

http://code.google.com/p/cropplanning/wiki/DevelopmentSetup

That writeup assumes you have Netbeans and SVN setup -- there are
links on that page, but no instructions for setting those up. After
that is set up, getting the source is fairly easy. At that point, you
have two options:

1. You can checkout the latest devel version of the source. This is
the default action. This version includes a fix for the problem you
were running into as well as a number of other bug fixes and new
features, but the UI isn't as integrated w/ the program logic as it is
in the version you downloaded. Why?: I've made a number of
improvements in how the program works with data, as well as what data
the program can track, but those changes weren't initially integrated
into the UI and won't be (by me) until things calm down on the farm
this fall.

2. You can checkout the source code for a previous release version of
the software, namely the one that's up for download: PreAlpha2. This
is also pretty straightforward, but the directions are a bit different
than what's on that URL I pasted above and I would need to do a little
research for you.

If you just want to fix that one problem in order to get up and
running now, option #2 is the way to go. If you really want to spend
some time working on the project, then #1 is really the only option.
Let me know if that makes sense to you and feel free to bombard me
with questions.

Clayton