Port to Persist & Glazed Lists

Clayton Carter

Nov 16, 2009, 6:49:09 AM11/16/09
to cropplann...@googlegroups.com
Work on the rewrite is going well and might not take nearly as long as
I was fearing. Basically, the rewrite to Persist was a breeze (after
I put a lot of time into Persist last winter to get some new features
up and running) and now there just some bug testing to do for that.
The port to Glazed Lists is also going well, but will require a bit
more work before it's ready for testing. I've also put some time into
rewriting some of the core data structs like CPSDatum and thus CPSCrop
and CPSPlanting.

The most interesting thing to come out of this for me is that the code
I've written for the crop software is getting simpler and simpler, and
in interesting ways. Rewriting data structures ended up expanding the
code base of CPSDatum by 25-30%, but shrunk the code for Crop and
Plantings by about the same amount. Glazed Lists will take over a lot
of the hard work that I had been doing in our list view, notably
sorting and filtering, which wasn't just data transforms for me, but
also Swing components, updates and such. GL handles it all itself.
Pretty slick.