Priority Interrupt Cable

cro memcos

Feb 10, 2024, 7:55:21 PMFeb 10
to crom...@googlegroups.com

image.png

So you know that cable that goes between some Cards on Cromemco systems,   from Priority Out to In etc.

Well with  all my recent testing my best cable has broken in one place.

Oh no!

I've tried searching for all sorts of things like

Priority Interrupt Cable
Vintage 2 pin cable
0.1 inch 2 pin female header

Can somebody put me out of my misery and tell me what the proper name for these bits are in 2024 so I can order some new ones to make up a cable!

Or ideally a UK store that sells them for buttons.

regards marcus

Mike Stein

Feb 10, 2024, 8:22:15 PMFeb 10
to crom...@googlegroups.com

Amardeep Chana

Feb 10, 2024, 8:22:25 PMFeb 10
to Cromemco
Hello Marcus,

Back in the day I used these to make the priority interrupt cable:

They're a bit different than the original but very close.

Regards,
Amardeep

Mike Stein

Feb 10, 2024, 8:34:35 PMFeb 10
to crom...@googlegroups.com
A little tricky to connect IMO, but they'll do the job.

On the Dupont connectors you can lift the retaining tabs with a sharp knife and extract the wire; using double-ended cables you can make a daisy chain of any length.

Amardeep Chana

Feb 10, 2024, 8:39:06 PMFeb 10
to Cromemco
Your suggestion is the better choice, Mike. I didn't see your response when I posted.  At any rate, it's good there are still ways to make them.

All the best,
Amardeep

Arnold Mike

Feb 11, 2024, 1:35:18 AMFeb 11
to asc...@gmail.com, crom...@googlegroups.com

Marcus

If you are still running into problems I can make one up for you. I have all the parts in my workshop.

Mike

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cromemco/e4e27954-466d-4988-932a-173fe8efccb5n%40googlegroups.com.

cro memcos

Feb 11, 2024, 6:48:30 AMFeb 11
to crom...@googlegroups.com

Dupont is the magic word.

Amazon UK sells them and I am ordering pronto

image.png

Meanwhile  I am still gobsmacked as to the efficacy of my LargeLanguageModel companion ...

image.png

thanks all,

marcus

Richard Deane

Feb 11, 2024, 7:01:43 AMFeb 11
to crom...@googlegroups.com
As an aside, I asked Copilot for detective stories from Spain or Portugal that are translated into English , and it gave one from Spain, several set in Paris including Maigret and one from South Africa, so it still has a way to go. On a few occasions I have felt it is smug & effusive, but wrong.

Richard

Walt Perko

Feb 11, 2024, 10:15:01 AMFeb 11
to crom...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I avoid Amazon.com like the plague, but these kits are all over eBay too at really low prices.

I bought one about 8 or more years ago and found I ran out of the 3s fairly fast, then the 4s and 5s went, but you can buy the specific sizes on eBay too to replenish the kit.

C U L8r,  °|°  Walt Perko  °|°        "Kids ... teach them the good stuff, and they still learn the bad stuff on their own."

http://www.R2Pv1.com/  RoboGuts™ Intelligent content for 3D printing making S.T.E.A.M. education better, easier and more affordable

Experiments to learn how to use various Electronic Components, Structured Computer Programming, Phonemes for Speech &Song in any language, and Art.

                         "The World Needs a New Economic Model"

BillyBotAvatar-2centsStamp-c

            Sent from the Cyber7

Amazon UK sells them and I am ordering pronto

Meanwhile  I am still gobsmacked as to the efficacy of my LargeLanguageModel companion ...

thanks all,

marcus

So you know that cable that goes between some Cards on Cromemco systems,   from Priority Out to In etc.

Well with  all my recent testing my best cable has broken in one place.

Oh no!

I've tried searching for all sorts of things like

Priority Interrupt Cable

Vintage 2 pin cable

0.1 inch 2 pin female header

Can somebody put me out of my misery and tell me what the proper name for these bits are in 2024 so I can order some new ones to make up a cable!

Or ideally a UK store that sells them for buttons.

regards marcus

image001.jpg
image002.png
image003.png

Mike Stein

Feb 11, 2024, 10:32:08 AMFeb 11
to crom...@googlegroups.com
There are special crimp tools for DuPont connectors for around $20.00 but you can of course just solder them.

rlm2667

Feb 11, 2024, 11:51:01 AMFeb 11
to Cromemco
FWIW, these, from amazon fit the priority connector exactly. With a little soldering, you can make what you need.

10PCS/lot 70cm 2 Pin Female to Female Jumper Wire Dupont Cable for 3D Printer.

Richard M

Walt Perko

Feb 11, 2024, 12:02:26 PMFeb 11
to crom...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

The key term is:  DUPONT … I’ve found standard Dupont jumper wires in all sizes, singles, doubles, all the way up to 140 position ribbon cables 30 feet long.

IF the boards are close together in the backplane, short wires might be more desirable.

image001.jpg

Mike Stein

Feb 11, 2024, 12:06:08 PMFeb 11
to crom...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, those are among the ones I pointed to on eBay; don't know about Amazon but on eBay they're available in different lengths.

As I said, if you get double-ended ones you can carefully lift the retaining tab, pull the wire out of the shell and replace it with another one to make a daisy chain as long as you need, with no soldering or crimping required at all.

Jay Cotton

Feb 11, 2024, 12:24:55 PMFeb 11
to crom...@googlegroups.com
This topic led me to order the parts from DigiKey.

I'll post when I get the parts (maybe a picture).

jc

Mike Arnold

Feb 11, 2024, 12:59:13 PMFeb 11
to Cromemco
Another manufacturer of these 0.1in housings back in the day was Molex. I think that the kk range was a non-reversible version but will still work on the simple pins that Cromemco used.

Jay Cotton

Feb 25, 2024, 1:42:31 AMFeb 25
to Cromemco
I got the DidiKey part A31080-ND in the mail and it looks perfect for creating the interrupt cable.
The connector pins are already installed, all you need is wire.  I got some 26awg stranded wire
that should just punch down on the connector end.

There may be a tools specific to this connector, I will try with a phone patch punch down
spring loaded tool.

I will be a few weeks before I get back to the location where my cromemco boards are housed.

Until then, maybe someone could comment on the punch down tool.

tnx
jc
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted