Music player 00.02

William Sudbrink

Nov 22, 2021, 7:15:17 PM11/22/21
to crom...@googlegroups.com

I recently received a very generous gift of a group of 8 inch CDOS floppies.  A number of them are original Cromemco labeled and serial numbered.  On one of the disks, I discovered a program called play.com that introduces itself as the subject states.  In addition, there are a number of files with a “mus” extension.  The mus files are clearly in a binary format.  The program plays a specified mus file out of JS-1 speakers attached to a D+7A.  It appears to play six voices, three from each joystick.  There does not appear to be a composer program on the disk.  I have done many web searches but I haven’t turned up anything.  I have also gone through my own collection of original Cromemco paper documentation.  Has anyone else heard of this?  Other “hints”:

After the title, it prints:

Welcome to the wonderful world of COMPUTER MUSIC

Then it asks:

Do you want to change the starting parameters?

Then:

How many repetitions?

Once it finishes, it asks:

Play it again, Sam?

Any hints greatly appreciated,

Bill Sudbirnk

B Degnan

Nov 22, 2021, 7:53:52 PM11/22/21
to crom...@googlegroups.com
neat.

David Roberts

Nov 23, 2021, 2:32:54 AM11/23/21
to crom...@googlegroups.com
I have seen a composer program somewhere - but for another machine. I wonder if it is the same program but written for a different machine?

I will have a look and report back...

Dave