Intro & boot disks...

geneb

Sep 24, 2021, 11:56:14 AM9/24/21
to Cromemco
My name's Gene and I'd be surprised if anyone here didn't know who I was already. :)  I run www.retroarchive.org among other things.

I've got a C-10 that appears to work fine, but I don't have any boot disks for it.  I've also got a System One with a hard disk that /might/ work, but I don't know what baud rate the serial console is at or whether or not it needs a null modem.  I suspect I need a boot disk for that as well.

I've also got a weird little Z-2D chassis that's had the two floppy drives replaced with a huge fan: https://i.imgur.com/fMbR4fu.jpg - if memory serves, it's got a 22 slot backplane in it.

tnx!

g.

Roger Hanscom

Sep 24, 2021, 1:16:00 PM9/24/21
to crom...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gene,

>> I've also got a System One with a hard disk that /might/ work, but I don't know what baud rate the serial console is at
>> or whether or not it needs a null modem.

If it has a Cromemco FDC card in it, I believe that it will auto-baud at power up.  Just hit a few carriage returns and it will sense the baud rate of your console.  I think that mine works fine with 9600 N/8/1?

>> I suspect I need a boot disk for that as well.

I could help with that.  I have a boot diskette with a nice version of CP/M 2.2 and one with CDOS and one with Z-80 Cromix (I'm assuming yours is Z-80 based?).  The thing is the media I could supply is all 5.25" HD.  My 8" and 360k floppy drives have long since bit the dust.  Also, can't help with the hard drive.  I have no native Cromemco HD hardware.  I run CP/M 2.2 with the S100 computer group's IDE/CF card.  There are sixteen 8 MB file systems on it.  It boots up from the 5.25" HD floppy, and then I run a little application that switches over to the IDE/CF card.  CDOS and Z-80 Cromix just run from floppy.

Roger

geneb

Sep 24, 2021, 1:34:02 PM9/24/21
to crom...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 24 Sep 2021, Roger Hanscom wrote:

> Hi Gene,
>
>>> I've also got a System One with a hard disk that /might/ work, but I
> don't know what baud rate the serial console is at
>>> or whether or not it needs a null modem.
>
> If it has a Cromemco FDC card in it, I believe that it will auto-baud at
> power up. Just hit a few carriage returns and it will sense the baud rate
> of your console. I think that mine works fine with 9600 N/8/1?

I'll give that a shot. I don't recall precisely what boards are in it,
but I'm pretty sure the CPU card has a 68000 on it.
This is the machine I have: https://i.imgur.com/KKaSWxx.jpg

>>> I suspect I need a boot disk for that as well.
>
> I could help with that. I have a boot diskette with a nice version of CP/M
> 2.2 and one with CDOS and one with Z-80 Cromix (I'm assuming yours is Z-80
> based?). The thing is the media I could supply is all 5.25" HD. My 8" and
> 360k floppy drives have long since bit the dust. Also, can't help with the
> hard drive. I have no native Cromemco HD hardware. I run CP/M 2.2 with
> the S100 computer group's IDE/CF card. There are sixteen 8 MB file systems
> on it. It boots up from the 5.25" HD floppy, and then I run a little
> application that switches over to the IDE/CF card. CDOS and Z-80 Cromix
> just run from floppy.

Thanks Roger. If you can supply IMD images, I can write those out myself.
I'm in the middle of finishing off a media imaging/mastering system so I
can do everything except hard sectored disks. For those I have an FC5025,
but that will only allow imaging, not mastering.

thanks!

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
Some people collect things for a hobby. Geeks collect hobbies.

Roger Hanscom

Sep 25, 2021, 10:53:13 AM9/25/21
to crom...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 10:34 AM geneb <ge...@deltasoft.com> wrote:

>> I'll give that a shot.  I don't recall precisely what boards are in it,
>> but I'm pretty sure the CPU card has a 68000 on it.

Oh, well ... that is probably an XPU or DPU if it has a 68k.  Then you probably don't want to mess with anything but Cromix?

>> Thanks Roger.  If you can supply IMD images, I can write those out myself.

I'm not set up to create IMD images, but I can snail mail you a couple of boot diskettes (I'm nearby -- about an hour north of Seattle).  I have Cromix 20.63 and 31.08 on 5.25" HD diskette.  My system is quite limited because I have no hard disk.  I have to run Cromix from floppy.  I believe that there are newer, more capable, versions of Cromix that might be a better option for you (with a HD)?  Maybe somebody on this list can chime in with better information?

Also, Marcus' archive (on github) has lots of software, if you can get access to that.

Roger

geneb

Sep 25, 2021, 11:13:54 AM9/25/21
to crom...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 25 Sep 2021, Roger Hanscom wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 10:34 AM geneb <ge...@deltasoft.com> wrote:
>
>>> I'll give that a shot. I don't recall precisely what boards are in it,
>>> but I'm pretty sure the CPU card has a 68000 on it.
>
> Oh, well ... that is probably an XPU or DPU if it has a 68k. Then you
> probably don't want to mess with anything but Cromix?

I have no idea. :) The machines I have are part of a rescue I did last
year and I'm still in the process of (slowly) evaluating systems.

> I'm not set up to create IMD images, but I can snail mail you a couple of
> boot diskettes (I'm nearby -- about an hour north of Seattle). I have
> Cromix 20.63 and 31.08 on 5.25" HD diskette. My system is quite limited
> because I have no hard disk. I have to run Cromix from floppy. I
> believe that there are newer, more capable, versions of Cromix that might
> be a better option for you (with a HD)? Maybe somebody on this list can
> chime in with better information?

Once I've gotten photos of the board set, I'll decide whether or not to
take you up on the disks. Thank you for the offer!

> Also, Marcus' archive (on github) has lots of software, if you can get
> access to that.

I did get access to it, thanks. Unfortunately, the "OS" things I've seen
are basically file dumps with no imaged media, rendering it nothing more
than a curiosity for my needs. :( Hopefully, I'll be able to at least get
the C-10 booted up. The machine works great - it's got some kind of
system monitor you end up in with no disks attached. You can dump ram,
etc.

Roger Hanscom

Sep 26, 2021, 12:44:16 PM9/26/21
to crom...@googlegroups.com

On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 8:13 AM geneb <ge...@deltasoft.com> wrote:

<snip> ...
>>                                                     Hopefully, I'll be able to at least get
>> the C-10 booted up.  The machine works great - it's got some kind of
>> system monitor you end up in with no disks attached.  You can dump ram,
>> etc.

Yep ... probably RDOS.

BTW, you are one lucky guy to have the kind of Cromemco gear that you apparently have!  *smile*

Roger

geneb

Sep 26, 2021, 7:47:47 PM9/26/21
to crom...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 26 Sep 2021, Roger Hanscom wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 8:13 AM geneb <ge...@deltasoft.com> wrote:
>
> <snip> ...
>>> Hopefully, I'll be
> able to at least get
>>> the C-10 booted up. The machine works great - it's got some kind of
>>> system monitor you end up in with no disks attached. You can dump ram,
>>> etc.
>
> Yep ... probably RDOS.

Ah, ok. I didn't get to the machines today, but I got things a bit more
organized towards that goal. :)

> BTW, you are one lucky guy to have the kind of Cromemco gear that you
> apparently have! *smile*

Incredibly lucky. They were among the two storage units of vintage gear I
got last year.