Error when searching term appearing in Comments

Cris Rhea

Jan 10, 2017, 3:43:39 PM1/10/17
to crits-users
I'm running the back-end services (I support the tool for our Threat Intel team) of a fresh install of CRITs from early November (2016) on CentOS 6.

The TI gang as entered data successfully, but recently, they demonstrated that certain search terms (Global Quick Search) will cause
the "An error occurred while communicating to the server" pop-up.

In looking at the Apache log, I only see the 500 error when the query references the "comments" collection. Nothing interesting in the MongoDB or crits logs.

I have found several search terms that will correctly return results from the "comments" collection, and several that will throw this error.

Since I'm doing backups of the MongoDB, I looked at the file produced for "comments" (bsondump, then the JSON add-on for notepad++).
No obvious smoking gun that I can see.

Ideas how I can find/fix "comments" collection entries and why they're throwing the error in the first place?

Thanks!

--- Cris

Michael Goffin

Jan 10, 2017, 3:47:30 PM1/10/17
to Cris Rhea, crits-users
Howdy!

Sorry you're running into issues! When your users get the 500 error, especially on search results pages, 99/100 times it's due to the data loading and not the page render. So they should be able to continue to get that error when they hit the "Reload" (or Refresh?) button on the table.

If they have Developer Tools open in their browser when they do that, they should see the contents of the 500 response, which could indicate the reason for the error. That might help shed some light as to what is causing the problem. We can try to help investigate further if you can relay that data to us.

Thanks!

Mike

Cris Rhea

Jan 10, 2017, 4:13:48 PM1/10/17
to crits-users, crhea...@gmail.com
I appreciate the help.

Yes, I can easily reproduce with <reload>

Here is the debugger output for the failing POST...
debug

Cris Rhea

Jan 16, 2017, 8:30:46 PM1/16/17
to crits-users, crhea...@gmail.com

Is there anything else I can provide to help in the debugging?

Thanks!