CPs/Critique Group for YA Paranormal/Urban Fantasy

Jennifer Roberts

Mar 25, 2021, 2:02:07 PM3/25/21
to Critique Partner Matchup
Hello!

I'm looking for a couple of critique partners or a small 3-4 person critique group to work with. I'd particularly like to work with writers who'd like to work on various stages of drafting together - critiquing finished drafts, bouncing ideas around for incomplete drafts, etc.

I am currently working on revisions for a YA paranormal fantasy. It was about 98,000 words before I cut a character, so now it's down to 65,000-ish and growing as I cobble things back together. So, it's still a work-in-progress. I'm happy to work with writers who have completed drafts or who are in similar stages of incompleteness.

I am currently unagented, but am interested in pursuing traditional publishing.

Story Blurb (full query blurb available if interested):
YA Paranormal Fantasy
In the wake of a deadly accident she miraculously survives, recently orphaned Caroline learns she has become the unwitting recipient of a vampire family’s blood legacy and a looming immortality she wants nothing to do with.

Last Book Read
I recently read The Stand by Stephen King which led me to starting a reread of The Passage by Justin Cronin (vampires and the apocalypse - yes please). I also just breezed through Shadow and Bone very quickly and enjoyed it.

Book that Epitomizes Me
I am not sure what book I would say epitomizes me as a reader. The dystopian fiction lover in me would say The Hunger Games trilogy since I've read it so many times. The horse girl in me loves The Scorpio Races

For communications working with a partner or group, I'd love a mix of maybe commenting on Word/Google docs, emailing, chatting in something like Discord, and some face-to-face viz Zoom or something like that.

Also, I am a native English speaker (American English).

Thank you!
Jennifer

Krista Linden

Apr 11, 2021, 4:43:51 PM4/11/21
to Critique Partner Matchup
Hi Jennifer,

Are you still looking for CPs? My current focus is an adult paranormal romance series featuring shifters and magic, with books coming in around 50K. I read widely, including YA fantasy. I have critiquing experience and completed works. I am interested in being a hybrid author, with some works self-published and others traditionally.

I am a native English speaker, American. I would also like to be able to talk and chat in Discord/Zoom as well as comments on Word docs, etc.

Thanks,
Krista

Izzy Judy

Apr 30, 2021, 11:43:55 AM4/30/21
to Critique Partner Matchup
Hello Jennifer!

Are you still looking for a CP? I write YA Fantasy and Adult Thriller (YA Fantasy is a 2nd draft WIP that currently has about 48,400 words and the Thriller WIP has about 38,000 words). I love a good paranormal fantasy so I'd be happy to do a trial run. The last book I read was Rule of Wolves by Leigh Bardugo but I would say a series that epitomizes me as a reader is The Raven Cycle (but I've also read Scorpio Races several times. Once a horse girl, always a horse girl). I'm also down to try a CP group -- I like Google Docs, emailing, chatting, etc.

Thanks,
Izzy

Jennifer R

May 4, 2021, 2:35:04 PM5/4/21
to Critique Partner Matchup
Hi Krista,

I am sorry I missed your message when it came it. I'm actually working on putting together a little Discord writerly community to help jumpstart some writerly friendships. Would you be interested in joining the group? If so, I can share the Discord link with you. So far it's very small (I just got the idea to just make my own Discord group).

Please let me know if you would like the link.

Thank you!
Jennifer

Cristina Dos Santos

May 7, 2021, 9:27:41 AM5/7/21
to Critique Partner Matchup
Hi.

Are you still looking for CPs?  I write YA dark fantasy/paranormal. I'm currently working on my 5th book and hoping this one is the one that lands me an agent. It's Dracula inspired, set in medieval Portugal.  I'm half way through the 1st draft, and I'm hoping to get it ready to query by the end of the year. I have had Dhonielle Clayton (she wrote The Belles and Tiny Pretty Things) read part of my draft and she offered to give me agent referrals when ready, so I am hopeful this is 'the one'. LOL   but I am in need of a critique group.  If you still have room in your group, I'd love to join and see if we are a good match.

Thank you!
Cristina