Seeking CP for Memoir About Moving to Spain

Jban

Dec 1, 2021, 9:04:21 AM12/1/21
to Critique Partner Matchup
Hi there. Jason here, a first-time write who moved to Spain with his wife about five years ago. With the help of a developmental editor, I've cut a 115k work down to 90k and feel I'm getting close to ready to look for an agent in the hopes of being published. Hence this post.

I'm looking for a one or more fellow writers to bounce this around with, and of course to return the favor before I begin the agent-querying process.

The current blurb:

Are you willing to give up what you have to get what you need?

In his mid-forties, Jason thought he had it all: a job he loved, a beautiful wife, and a house with a view of the San Francisco Bay. But when a mysterious illness steals his ability to sleep, his idyllic world morphs into a nightmare. Now, he must rediscover the parts of himself he’s buried in order to wake up from his life before he loses it. To do so, he’ll need to risk everything and start anew in a place where he has no history—an ancient village in the mountains of southern Spain.

An emotionally raw story of loss and redemption brimming with humor and unforgettable characters, Moving vividly illustrates how the right place can madden you, heal you, and ultimately return you to yourself. Part travel memoir, part love story, part accidental self-help guide, Moving explores the questions: What is health? What is home? And what does it mean to live your best life?

Books I've loved of late: Richard Powers' latest, "Bewilderment", as well as his Pulitzer-winner, "The Overstory." As far as other memoirs, "Educated", "The Glass Castle", and I recently checked out "Eat Pray Love" and am embarrassed to say I really enjoyed it.

Let me know if you'd like to exchange the first 50 pages, and if you're hooked, let's make it work!

Best,

-Jason

Jban

Dec 1, 2021, 9:06:59 AM12/1/21
to Critique Partner Matchup
Oy--apologies for missing an "r" on my first line there! Would that there was a way to edit these once posted!