Adult dark fantasy novel (95k words) seeking 1-2 CPs

Joe Shepard

Aug 9, 2021, 8:58:09 PM8/9/21
to Critique Partner Matchup
Un-agented, unpublished author seeking 1-2 CPs for a dark fantasy novel.

Working synopsis:
In a world ruled by magical beings calling themselves kings, a young man’s entire town is taken from him when a king uses the power of his voice to compel the town's residents into his service. Only the youth finds himself completely immune to this pull – and in immediate danger as a result. As he escapes and begins to pursue the kidnapper, he quickly discovers he also has a king’s ability.  However, can he use his newfound power to save his people without losing himself?

Obligatory trigger warning -- The entire magic system revolves around mind control, with explicit references to self-harm (via mind control) and implicit suggestions of rape (in that an influenced person cannot consent).

I'm willing to swap adult fantasy and adult horror (and maybe YA horror). However, just know that I haven't really kept up with modern fiction, so I won't necessarily be aware of certain trends regarding tone, etc, although I'm generally good at spotting typos.

I also write in multiple genres, and have several other novels written within the past few months I'll need to critique at some point (although one is out on request right now so I'm not bothering with that).