CP(s) wanted for NA fantasy fanfiction ~200k words

Xanthe Kingsman

Mar 23, 2021, 7:07:32 PM3/23/21
to Critique Partner Matchup

Hello there,

I am writing a New Adult sword-and-sorcery fantasy fanfiction based on the ‘Crimson Flower’ story path of the Nintendo Switch game ‘Fire Emblem: Three Houses.’ This may be a fanfic that I cannot make money off of, and will only publish online on websites like Archive Of Our Own, Quotev and DeviantArt, but I take my stories very seriously!

I do not have an agent and am not published, just one story on DeviantArt (and a bunch of half-finished ones) and AO3 and a lot more in the works. Some day I dream of writing and publishing my own original material.

We shall codename this fanfiction ‘WataYori’ for now, based on a Japanese translation of the working title. It is currently less than 200,000 words, and may even end up as long as 300,000, so CPs need to be dedicated and in for the long haul, and/or willing to help edit probably a lot of filler. There is a sequel and prequel novellas planned, but you do not need to stay for those.

WataYori is currently 58 chapters long (200k/58=about 3,450 words per chapter) and may even end up an estimated 65-70 chapters long. The story is still in its first draft, with some scenes that are barely written.

Please note that I am writing WataYori in Google Docs, so there is online evidence of me having started writing this story in March 2020, in case anyone thinks they can steal my work. Write your own Fire Emblem retelling.

Plot: Well-meaning but socially impaired mercenary Byleth is recruited to teach the next generation of officers at the continent’s top military academy, and during her quests to find love and learn where she came from, in a story spanning three countries and six years, (with a five-year timeskip) Byleth and her ‘Black Eagles’ class learn that various groups are plotting behind the scenes, and war may even be on the horizon…

WataYori is written in ENGLISH and narrated in 3rd person past tense, mostly from Byleth’s perspective but sometimes focuses on other characters, one who even writes some rather long love letters in first person.

18+ CPs wanted. Please do not reply if you are underage due to the mature themes in this story. (I reckon readers should be at least 15.) I plan to rate it T or higher on FF.net and M or higher on AO3.

This story will get dark and mature in places, so there are some things potential CPs need to know before considering taking on this work;

INCLUDING TRIGGER/CONTENT WARNINGS;

  • A few scenes with suicidal thoughts and ideations.

  • Loss of a major family member.

  • Talk of past child abuse and torture from a character about them and their siblings. Other characters have abusive pasts.

  • This is a war story. There will be battles where the main characters kill a lot of people. The violence isn’t too graphic or gory, but it is violence and murder, and a lot of it.

  • This is also a morally ambiguous war story from the point of view of the morally grey aggressors. The war is to end the reign of a ruling power with policies that badly affect many people, with the hope of making a better society in the conquered land. This story will deal with questions such as ‘Is there ever a good reason for war, or is it never worth the cost?’

  • Scenes where characters kill people they used to be friends with, who now fight for enemy armies. This is traumatising for some of them, even causing PTSD.

  • Occasional sexual harassment, and even rumours of r*pe, but no r*pe actually happens.

  • Byleth in particular can be really potty-mouthed. There will be words as bad as ‘s*it’, ‘f**k’ and the occasional ‘c**t’.

  • The word ‘r**ard(ed)’ is also occasionally used. This is a fantasy world that has yet to discover autism and political correctness. Autistic characters are misunderstood and even infantilised in places, as nobody really knows what’s wrong with them. It should be hopefully clear in context that the R-word isn’t one that should be used by readers, but if the word is too offensive and inexcusably so, then I will change it.

  • Byleth is coded as autistic in a world that won’t know what that is for hundreds of years.

  • There are a few LGBT+ characters, (no significant trans characters, I’m afraid) including Byleth, who is queer, liking men and women. “Probably pan, but I have yet to meet a hot enough enby-not to say they aren’t hot!” (I apologise if the term ‘enby’ is offensive. If so, I will change it.)

  • Talk of student-teacher relationships and the possibility of them, but no such relationships occur while characters are in school, only romantic hints that they might make a good couple later. (Spoiler alert: Byleth will probably end up in a relationship with a former student who has graduated and is now in their twenties like her.)

  • Byleth develops unrequited love for a man who is married and 24 years her senior. This is a major subplot. He doesn’t reciprocate Byleth’s feelings, but there are a couple of scenes  (which may be cut or changed if need be) where they hug and comfort each other. As a foster son of Byleth’s biological father before the father and daughter disappeared, he sees Byleth as a little sister, but they are not genetically related. (They first met (that Byleth can remember) when she was 21, and Byleth grew up an only child.)

  • On the bright side, there are no sex scenes, just sexual references.

If you’re still reading, then thank you. I will take this request down if necessary and this story is too mucked-up. If on the small chance that you have the stomach for violence, trauma and ships that are questionable at best, then I mainly enjoy fantasy and sci-fi, historical, or YA/NA stories with a modern, realistic setting.  Authors I enjoy include George R.R. Martin, Sarah J. Maas, Jacqueline Wilson, Brian Jacques, Holly Bourne and Nancy Revell. The last book I read that I loved was probably Salamandastron by Brian Jacques. A book that epitomises me as a reader? Man, that’s hard. Maybe Am I Normal Yet? by Holly Bourne.

Videogame-wise, I am Nintendo all the way, liking franchises such as Pokemon, The Legend of Zelda, Harvest Moon and of course Fire Emblem. I also enjoy Genshin Impact and Stardew Valley.

WataYori’s writing playlist includes a lot of songs from musicals, especially Hamilton, If/Then and Les Misérables. (pretty much anything involving Eponine and Marius, in Les Mis’s case.)

I’m willing to read and critique your work in return. By all means, we can try the first 50 pages of each others’ work and see if it works from there.

I look forward to working with you!

Thank you

Xanthe

Gmail: xanthe....@gmail.com