CP/Beta Read for Adult Literary/Contemporary Novel

Sarah Buckley

Mar 8, 2021, 3:59:59 PM3/8/21
to Critique Partner Matchup
Hi all!

Seeking a couple more beta readers for my novel, THE OTHER ONE OF US (~94K words). In exchange, I'm more than happy to read a manuscript of any length (complete or in progress) and give feedback. Though I'm unpublished, I actually previously worked at a couple of literary agencies so I have a solid grasp on what makes it past the slush pile, if that's helpful at all. Happy to read any genre, but literary/contemporary/historical fiction (Adult or YA) are my strong suits.

Recent reads that I've adored: Red at the Bone by Jacqueline Woodson, Pachinko by Min Jin Lee, The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel

Here's a brief summary of my novel:

Things just happen, all of a sudden sometimes.

A dog dying. A mother leaving. A father’s funeral. A life unsettled.

By all accounts, 37-year-old Joelle has made it. Having catapulted herself out of small town Texas suburbia, defying all expectations as a mixed-race girl raised by a single dad, she’s made more than enough money at her tech marketing job to settle into a comfortable if unexciting life. Then a phone call from her estranged mother, Maryanne upends everything. And what starts as a road trip to recover a mysterious gift from Joelle’s recently-deceased father turns into a reexamination of a fractured relationship that holds its share of secrets, big and small. Told from dueling perspectives, over the course of more than four decades, The Other One of Us is a story about the power of regret and the lengths women will go to in search of more...

If the above sounds up your alley, drop me a line (here or at slpast...@gmail.com). I've created a little survey for feedback for my novel to make things easier so I can send that along too!

Laura Foley

Mar 11, 2021, 6:56:15 AM3/11/21
to Critique Partner Matchup
Hi I would be interested in this but can't seem to access your email. Here's mine to link in: laurafo...@gmail.com

I have a YA 97k fantasy, quite polished and should be ready for querying soon.

bookslifeot...@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2021, 9:45:05 AM3/28/21
to Critique Partner Matchup
Hello :)

If you are still looking for CPs I'm looking for someone to read through my full ms, 80k words. My novel is about a university student who witnesses a murder and then her best friend is accused of the crime. She tries to clear her best friend's name but her investigation leads her to a woman who should have died over 50 years ago.

Would you be interested in swapping?

Best,
Hannah

Jeanne Adams

Mar 28, 2021, 3:07:08 PM3/28/21
to Critique Partner Matchup
Hi, I'd be interested to swap MS for beta/CP. I have a woman's fiction/romance 80K. Thanks!
jeanne

Danyl Doyle

May 18, 2021, 11:22:21 PM5/18/21
to Critique Partner Matchup
I'd love to share and provide feedback. I have several romantic adventures, romantic suspense or romantic thrillers I'm working on (along with some short stories). Let me know if you are still interested.

One is called Nuking North Korea in which a seaman was sent on a top-secret mission to defuse a nuclear bomb. He is captured and tortured, then nursed back to health by a Korean woman. They fall in love and he promises to return. Unfortunately, the Navy reprogrammed him and erased his memory. Years later, they meet again.

The other is called The Valley of the Ute Curse in which a boy is alleged to have committed suicide and his sister is blamed along with his track coach who is thought to have bullied the boy. The two team up to try to prove he was actually murdered. They grow close and must hide their relationship since he is still her teacher. In the process, they uncover livestock multilations, a satanic cult, drug running and money laundering. Their lives are threatened by powerful political players.

Let me know if you might be interested.

Danyl

Amita Basu

Jun 24, 2021, 9:37:39 AM6/24/21
to Critique Partner Matchup
Hello!

I just joined the group, and your book seems interesting to me. I enjoy reading literary fiction.

I'm looking for CPs for flash fiction, short fiction, and a WIP novel, all literary. Some of my published short fiction is here: https://amitabasu.com/home/

I'm also looking for a CP for a literary alternative history / pseudohistory novel. *Mirror* documents the rise of a fictitious (but inspired by several real-life models) dictatorship in the 20th century from the perspective of Katharyn Arett. Katharyn is five when she starts observing the interesting times around her. She grows up on the fringes of a politically and socially tumultous time, then gets sucked into the heart of the dictatorship via her kinship with the man who becomes dicator. *Mirror* analyses the multiple forces that combine to enable the rise of a nationalistic tyranny with military ambitions. But it is family that lies at the heart of this story.

*Mirror* is a WIP. It will probably be a trilogy, around 180k in all (the novel already has a three-part structure) -- unless I can find ways to cut it down to a single novel. I'm open to suggestions. So far I've drafted 10 chapters out of a total of 36.

If you think we might match, please drop me a line

Best regards.

Amita Basu