Adult Romantic Fantasy (complete 115k)-seeking CP for this and future projects

Lauren Foley

Aug 10, 2021, 11:42:53 AMAug 10
to Critique Partner Matchup
Hi everyone! My name is Lauren and I am looking for 2-3 critique partners before submitting to Pitch Wars at the end of September, so a turnaround of a month (or less) would be ideal. I can also offer the same response time.

My current project is an adult romantic fantasy that mashes up several traditional fairytales into something new. It features a knife-wielding princess who becomes disabled halfway through, an evil sorceress, an enemies to lovers romance, dragons, monsters... you get the idea. Content warning: prolific swearing, some violence (I wouldn't call it gory though),  a couple explicit sex scenes, and it is strongly implied that male love interest was coerced via trickery into bed with the villain (though this takes place in the past, and not on the page). Also, it's written in first person present--I know some people hate that. However, I'm debating changing it over to limited third past.

Feedback I'm interested in is pacing/story structure, plot holes or inconsistencies, or anything else that could require a major edit/change. Would also be interested in query/synopsis help, and I'm willing to return the favor.

I do not yet have an agent, and plan to do Pitch Wars before starting the official querying process. I write in American English. I'm currently reading Empire of Gold (book 3 of the Daevabad trilogy) and love it. I've also read a lot of YA Fantasy in addition to adult, so I'm well versed in that genre. Some of my favorite books/series are A Court of Thorns and Roses, the Bridge Kingdom, and the Daevabad trilogy.

I'm open to critiquing any YA/adult Fantasy/Romance, and would prefer someone who primarily reads and write the same. If you think we'd be a good match, feel free to respond here or email me. Thanks!

Lauren