YA Southern Gothic Horror 100k

Xan K

Aug 13, 2021, 11:12:32 PM8/13/21
to Critique Partner Matchup
Hi everyone!

My novel is about a Punjabi girl in rural Georgia who sells her soul to the devil for folk music talent (in order to save her family's motel & so much more*). I'm agented and in the last round of edits with this one. While I'm looking for CPs for this book, I'm ideally looking for longterm CPs for future projects as well!

* This MS has four POVs and a podcast narrative woven throughout. It is a hefty story and comes with a handful of trigger warnings, but I'd really only need high-level critique for it.

Last book I loved: Sadie by Courtney Summers
A book that epitomizes me: The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
(drawn to stories that explore the darkest and most magical parts of humanity)

Comment below if you're interested, and we can email!

Sophia Reagan

Aug 15, 2021, 2:52:44 PM8/15/21
to Critique Partner Matchup
Hi!

Your book sounds really interesting! I have a project that I just finished revising based on CPs feedback and am looking for a fresh pair of eyes before I query. It's an 83,000 word YA fantasy.

My pitch: Nix uses her dark magic to assassinate her queen's enemies. But when the queen orders her to find a mysterious boy in a magical garden, Nix starts to wonder what the queen's goal really is--and what she's been helping with.

Let me know if that's of any interest to you,
Sophia

JC Hope

Aug 16, 2021, 10:27:11 AM8/16/21
to Critique Partner Matchup
Hi there!

Your book sounds super interesting! I live in Amsterdam now but I spent three years living in Atlanta (2014 - 2017 ish), with some rural work assignments, so the setting will be familiar to me.

 I am also hoping to find long term CPs. I have completed a New Adult fantasy, 95,000 words, dual POV. I wanted to write something inspired by the Scorpio Races (desolate island, dangerous seas), but it has come out a lot sweeter/lighter. I am querying at the moment and would love an opinion on it.

Currently reading: Ten Thousand Doors of January, Stephen King's On Writing
Most recently loved: Gods of Jade and Shadow, Mexican Gothic, Rule of Wolves (plus many others!)

Please let me know what you think!

All the best :)

Jennifer