Seeking CP/Beta Readers Group for – Adult Horror | Dark/Weird Fantasy | Etc.

J.R. Andrews

Apr 6, 2021, 1:39:19 PM4/6/21
to Critique Partner Matchup

Checked the backlog.  Haven’t found enough like this, so, decided to create a new post.

Hoping to form a small group (three to five people) for Adult Horror and like.  Thrillers or other dark/weird tales would fit as well.  I’ve been in a few writing circles in the past, and they’re a big help for me.

Hoping to “meet” once per week (Discord, Zoom, Gchat, whatever works).  Exchange emails.  Active members, please.  Everyone contributes and encourages.  Constructive critiques of the work, never the person.

Currently working on three projects:

  • “Tease” – my next KDP novella – First Draft Completed – 45,000 words
    • A grisly subversion of the vampire romance.  Told from the familiar’s perspective.
  • “Filter” – Writing submission for short story periodical - WIP – (will be approx. 4,000 words)
    • He begins a difficult break-up.  Later that day, her father is diagnosed with a terminal illness.
  • “Untitled Witch Project” – KDP Project – WIP – (will be approx. 60,000 words)
    • A college student, who dreams of becoming a writer, exiles himself to a remote town in eastern Alaska for the summer.  Unsure of what to write, he starts to investigate a curious series of bear attacks, which the local’s blame on a decades-old legend.

Can’t wait to hear what you’re working on!

A little about me: I am in my early thirties.  Live in Florida.  Enjoy fitness, podcasts, Gunpla (it’s model building), and (of course) books!
I have self-published two novellas to KDP and moved about 100 units.  No agent currently.  Still amateur level.  Have goals.
A few favorite authors: Clive Barker, Allison Bechdel, James Clavell, Carrie Fisher, Gillian Flynn, Stephen King, Harper Lee, Brian Lumley, Alan Moore
A few favorite movies: Jaws (1975), Alien (1979), Evil Dead (1981), Bladerunner (1982), John Carpenter’s The Thing (1982), Akira (1988), Whisper of the Heart (1995), Drive (2011)

Drop me a line if you want to build an awesome group.  Best way to contact would be through email: j.r...@gmail.com

Looking forward to hearing from you :)