CPs for YA Fantasy

Cas Alexander

Mar 21, 2022, 4:38:11 PM3/21/22
to Critique Partner Matchup
Hi all,

I'm looking for CPs for my ownvoices queer YA fantasy. It's a dark academia story featuring punk witches, a school that wants you dead, and high stakes deception. I've got 60k drafted and would like to swap chunks with someone/s to find out if I'm on the right track or not. I'd describe it as Queen of the Damned meets A Deadly Education.

I'm not currently agented, but am preparing to query a previous MS.

Kathleen H.

Jun 20, 2022, 12:24:57 AM6/20/22
to Critique Partner Matchup
hey! im not ready to swap chunks, but your idea of punk witches hit me hard! i LOVE it! i think id be an excellent reader for you!

im working on a darker fantasy as well, though it's not a YA or an academia. one of the main characters definitely has that backstory though. shes a marvelously talented witch, dedicated to her magic and her activism. she's a bit of a disaster, supporting far too many causes to reasonably tackle any of them with proper dedication.

Here's the working blurb: Lydia has been rivalling Aiden for as long as she's known him. As the son of a generational wandmaker, everything was handed to him, and he couldn't care less about it. The least she could do was knock him down a peg or two. Aiden has been more resillient than she ever expected. Years after getting him kicked out of their prestegious boarding school, their rivalry continues. That is, until it threatns Aiden's career. Forced to play nice, Aiden begins to see Lydia's crackpot, political nonsense might have some truth to it, and worse, his father might be in control of it all.

its rough. but i can promise 2 books and many many dragons. it's high fantasy, but imagine it kind of like arcane/world of warcraft, where there's a lot of infrastructure, economics, and capitalism, and less like some medieival.

like i said, im not ready to swap chunks, im still rough drafting. im drafting out the finer details of the plot now.  still, id love to have some one to talk about ideas with, to develop ideas with. you seem so cool, and even if my story ends up not being your thing, id love to read for you.

im sure eventually ill write something youll love to read too, because again, you seem cool. let me know! you can reach me here: kat...@gmail.com