fasting times

karen....@svha.org.au

Mar 3, 2016, 8:13:27 AM3/3/16
to Critical Care Nutrition
Hi all

My first time to this group.

I would appreciate anyone's help with guidelines/protocols they have in relation to fasting time for procedures when pts are on enteral feeds as we would like to have something in place here as fasting times are having a huge impact on pts not getting adequate feeds.

Many thanks

Karen Storer
Senior Dietitian
St.Vincent's Public Hospital
Sydney
Australia

Drover, Dr. John W.

Mar 3, 2016, 10:47:40 AM3/3/16
to criticalca...@googlegroups.com

Hi Karen,

There is guideline that we developed here that was also modeled after a similar document in Edmonton. It is available on our website under QI tools: http://criticalcarenutrition.com/resources/qi-tools#bedside

Of course this is aimed at procedures in the OR and you may need to develop a similar guideline for other procedures in the ICU if those are the ones causing the trouble. Perhaps the most important aspect to address is engagement of stakeholders. The guideline we developed for OR procedures was officially approved by the Department of Anesthesiology as an example.

Good luck.

John

John W. Drover, MD, FRCSC, FACS, CCPE
Professor and Head
Department of Critical Care Medicine
Queen’s University
Program Medical Director, Critical Care Program
Davies 2
Kingston General Hospital
76 Stuart Street
Kingston, Ontario
Canada
K7L 2V7
Phone 613-549-6666 ext 6335
Fax 613-548-1325

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of this communication is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this e-mail.

karen....@svha.org.au

Mar 7, 2016, 7:57:40 AM3/7/16
to Critical Care Nutrition
Thank you very much John for your reply.  Very helpful