Raising the profile of our group

1 view

cste...@yahoo.com

Feb 8, 2009, 11:37:19 AM2/8/09
to Critical Teaching
After the recent comments about creating a website for our group and
the discussions about having our group members speak at different
events, it got me thinking about how we are getting the word out about
our group. I know that some flyers were distributed at Dragon con last
year and the Sigma Pi Sigma congress last November. We also got a
mention in Swift. I don't what else has been accomplished, so I
decided to start looking at the four member blogs that are listed in
our resources. Let me say first, that I did only a quick scan and
might have missed a mention. However, I only found a link to our group
in one of the four blogs. I would like to encourage everyone to link
to our welcome page whenever you have control over a website, blog or
anything else that it would be appropriate to link to us from. I would
suggest that you link to our welcome page,
http://groups.google.com/group/critical-teaching/web/cteg-mission-statement-plan-of-action,
because IMO it is the page that will grab people's attention the most
and encourage them to check out our resources, home page etc the best
of what we have at present.

I think that we finally have a large enough and varied enough cache of
resources that we should all be aware of opportunities to get the word
out about our group. If no one is in the forest, the falling tree
still makes a sound but it is not heard. While we are not an empty
forest (our members know about our resources), I would like for as
many people as possible to be aware of what we have worked to compile
so that we can help advance critical thinking in as many ways, small
and large, as we can. The journey of a thousand miles thing. We have
taken that first step and the discussions about speaking engagements
are adding many more steps. Keep up the good work everyone.

cstein

badrescher

Feb 8, 2009, 11:53:50 AM2/8/09
to Critical Teaching

On Feb 8, 8:37 am, cstein...@yahoo.com wrote:
> decided to start looking at the four member blogs that are listed in
> our resources. Let me say first, that I did only a quick scan and
> might have missed a mention. However, I only found a link to
> our group in one of the four blogs.

Of course you're right about this; I have no excuse for not thinking
of it and will add a link immediately.

But, I admit that attracting members is not something I've put high on
my priority list. I have mixed feelings about it. Mostly, I worry
about the awkwardness of the Google Groups interface and that so few
members participate. I don't have a solution for my discomfort at the
moment, but I'm thinking about it.

-Barb

Matt Lowry

Feb 9, 2009, 10:57:17 PM2/9/09
to Critical Teaching
Done. Thanks for pointing this out - I feel like an idiot for not
linking to CTEG earlier.

Cheers - Matt