Yet another reason we need to fight for truth

badrescher

Jan 31, 2009, 1:19:20 PM1/31/09
to Critical Teaching
Watching our local news last night, I was shocked to see a report (not
shocked that it was reported, but the content...) about a dog whose
owner claims he can do math.

The owner holds up a whiteboard with numbers written on it and asks
the dog to add, subtract, multiply, divide, and DO SQUARE ROOTS!

The dog responds, something like Clever Hans did, by tapping his paw
in his owner's hand repeatedly until he reaches his answer.

The problem? THEIR TOURING ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS. There was NO discussion
in the report of Clever Hans or the probability that the dog is
ACTUALLY doing math, so I can only assume that they're not talking
about it in their presentation, either.

Argh.

I didn't record the report or transcribe it as I sometimes do, so I
searched the station's website for a written report with no luck. A
search of the internet turned up many, though. An article on "Science
News for Kids", at first glance, discusses the issue of animals and
math in a more realistic manner - how math appears in nature moreso
than actually DOING math.

However, I came across a clip from a show called "Pet Star" that
appears on Animal Planet.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/21958/maggie_the_mathematic_dog/

Notice how one of the guests is amazed because she cannot see overt
signals from the owner. Dogs have been bred for hundreds (perhaps
thousands) of years to respond to human needs. They are one of the
only non-primates known to utilize joint attention (follow the gaze of
others). They are extremey tuned in to us. Clever Hans' trainer's
signals were not intentional or over, either.

In my search, I came across:

http://www.jimthewonderdog.com/

And, finally, I found the dog discussed in the report:

http://landofpuregold.wordpress.com/2007/05/15/golden-retriever-dave-the-math-dog-performing-again/

I left a comment, but it is moderated, so I am certain that it will
not appear. Still, if more people aks this guy to educate himself and
incorporate that education into his "act", he MAY open his eyes and
perhaps we can stop this crap.

-Barb

badrescher

Jan 31, 2009, 4:25:34 PM1/31/09
to Critical Teaching
Quick Update

My comment was left up and the author replied, "I have not perpetuated
any myth and I honestly believe children do understand that this is a
trick, and that dogs do not have the ability to engage in mathematics
reasoning."

Frankly, I am disgusted with this and pretty much told her so by point
out that she's making a dangerous assumption and that nothing in her
article or any other that I have read says anything about the illusion
of it. I'm willing to bet that THAT one doesn't go up.

I also found the owner's website:

http://www.davethemathdog.com

and emailed the owner. In my email, I suggested that he had the power
to teach important concepts of critical thinking by educating himself
and including a discussion of what Dave was REALLY doing in his
presentations to children. He does this to promote math education,
according to his website and his reply, so I believe his intentions
are good.

I don't want to post his full reply here because I don't believe in
making private email public without permission.

It was a history of how they discovered this "ability" ("my wife was
watching the Discovery channel and a lady said, people don't realize
what animals understand from humans"), what his procedure is (children
suggest the problems "at random"), a list of his "abilities", and a
list of the TV shows that Dave has appeared on (like Letterman) as if
these things make a difference.

The last one does, in my opinion - it makes it MUCH worse.

I replied, basically, that anecdotes and histories served only to
demonstrate the natural human tendencies to jump to conclusions about
what we WANT to believe and hold fast to those beliefs, ignoring
plausible alternative explanations. I reiterated parts of my first
email - e.g., he'd not done a controlled test that could support or
refute what he believes the dog can do. I asked if he had ever asked
Dave to solve a problem written on the board without looking at it
himself and with nobody in the room who knew the problem.

I ended my email with a note that essentially promised to personally
promote his "act" if he could demonstrate, through controlled
experiments, that Dave could do math. I added that I know many
scientists and educators who would find such a thing a huge
breakthrough in the study of animal behavior and intelligence.

- Barb

kil...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2009, 7:33:04 PM1/31/09
to critical...@googlegroups.com
Could you write about it for SWIFT or a letter to the editor of the local newspaper? If it can be brought to the attention of the locals or be highly ranked when people search for it online, it may help?

badrescher

Jan 31, 2009, 8:16:15 PM1/31/09
to Critical Teaching
I thought about writing the station or the like, but have not yet. I'd
really like to blog and probably should, but I feel that I couldn't be
consistent with it right now. Maybe I'm wrong to worry about that.

Your comment about ranking in searches reminded me of something else
that's been on my mind lately.

My mother gets hundreds of emails per week from an ultra-conservative
friend and forwards many of them on to me. Every email that is not a
joke is either woo or political propaganda and NONE have EVER cited
sources. My personal favorite is that Vaseline eliminates respiratory
symptoms if you slather your FEET with it before bedtime!

When I Google a phrase, I invariably get BOTH:

1 - A hit on "Snopes" or one of the other fact-finders which clearly
shows that it's propaganda.
2 - A long list of forums and blog comments on which people have
posted the identical propaganda.

A few days ago I received a description of headlines from 4 years ago
to compare with headlines today (designed to show a liberal media bias
in reporting of the cost of the inaugurations). When I looked at the
forum and blog entries, the first 20 were ALL posted on the SAME DAY.
BTW, the "headlines" were bogus.

I really don't care about the issue (at least in this case). I don't
understand why people feel the need to make stuff up instead of argue
from facts. If you CAN'T argue from facts, why hold on to those
beliefs?

The bells that went off -- there are organized campaigns to saturate
the internet with propaganda promoting right-wing and/or fundamental
christian ideals that disturb me a great deal.

I see people fighting to warp the truth about conventional medicine
(mostly anti-pharm targeting medications for ADHD and such) on
Wikipedia that appear to be individuals, but the mass mailings and
postings are, IMO, so much worse.

So, I'll write something up and share it as you suggested, but I think
"the movement" (I hate that term, but I don't know what else to call
it) needs an organized offensive, don't you?

-Barb

Matt Lowry

Feb 1, 2009, 7:42:29 PM2/1/09
to Critical Teaching
Hi Barb et al,

Wow, that's just crazy. I saw a similar post over at Kylie's blog -
PodBlack Cat - recently about a news story out of a town in
Mississippi where a girl in a high school class claimed to be speaking
in tongues (transmitting the "voice of God"). The other kids started
freaking out and are claiming that she's possessed by the Devil.
Meanwhile, the media covering this non-story framed it as "Was she
talking for God or possessed by Satan?" in a serious manner - there
was absolutely no hint of skepticism on the part of the media or a
willingness to consider a third, non-supernatural, alternative.

Anyway, I got hold of it and vented my spleen on my latest blog post,
in case any of you were curious...
http://skepticalteacher.wordpress.com/2009/01/31/what-is-the-limit-on-respecting-beliefs/

I see a lot of parallels between the two stories in the sense that the
media covering this garbage bears much of the blame. They should know
better, or they should at least do a little basic journalistic
research, before passing it to the public and giving the nonsense an
air of validity. But if all they care about is ratings, then over-
sensationalizing these things is par for the course.

Which makes what we do all the more important. I agree with Kylie -
contacting the local paper might be a good start; otherwise, bring it
to the attention of the SWIFT folks and they might pick it up.

Cheers - Matt
> http://landofpuregold.wordpress.com/2007/05/15/golden-retriever-dave-...

badrescher

Feb 1, 2009, 10:32:35 PM2/1/09
to Critical Teaching
Well done, Matt.

I am, of course, just as disgusted about the report as you, but a
quote that really stood out has more to do with the girl herself:

"I didn't cuss anyone out," Clanton said. "If it was a demon, I would
have tore that school up. I would have thrown desks and everything. I
didn't say no cuss words at all."

Says a lot, no?

Dave's owner has responded twice now, but he just isn't getting it. I
have asked him to contact someone who can design and conduct an
appropriate test of Dave's abilities and even offered to arrange for
it myself.

I have written it up and am in the process of setting up a blog. I've
had the domain name for more than a year, but am not someone who can
just pick a template. Of course, my designs are never better than the
templates... ;P

After I post it, I may email Shermer (to start with) and suggest "Math
Dogs" for Skeptologists. Has anyone heard anything about whether the
show has been picked up yet? Or maybe Mythbusters would like to take
it on. Hell, I'd fly to IL myself and do it (assuming the owner is
willing), but I think it needs a wide audience.

I'll post a link to the blog when I am satisfied enough to publish...

-Barb

kil...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2009, 3:59:32 AM2/2/09
to critical...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I've been trying to avoid writing anything more on this... but when I was standing in line to pay bills at the post office, I kept writing notes. ARGHH!! I have a thesis to write... and this just kept bouncing about in my mind like a performing poodle... :)

Firstly - did you see Wikipedia now features this on the Clever Hans page? As of 31st January:

On January 30, 2009, 'Dave the Math Dog' was featured on NBC Nightly News, who demonstrated that he could solve math problems by the tapping of his paws. Dave demonstrated these abilities in front of schoolchildren, giving them hope that the abilities of Clever Hans would someday soon be rectified.

So, there's clearly a groundswell starting - take advantage of it!

  • Write a snappy, science-history based article for the Science Teaching Association Journal in your state / for the Teacher's Union / for any public or private Teaching magazine. You might even try your local Parenting magazine too.

This has to get out to the stakeholders, first and foremost. There are schools who are being ripped off by this and school communities being shown bad science.

Essentially, this is a Press Release turned article - and you can even abbreviate it into a Press Release to be sent out. A Press Release is only one page in length total, with all the main facts put into neat paragraphs and your contact details at the end.

You might even like asking the local Science Teaching Association if they'd send out something to the schools about it?

  • Then it's letter to the editor, letter to the station that broadcast the story and certainly it can then double-up as an article for eSkeptic and/or SWIFT. You might consider zipping it into Skeptical Briefs, the mail-out mag by the CSI and adding at the end of the article that you and other teachers from Critical Teaching Group are planning to turn up to the next Dragon*Con and you'd love to help out other teachers.

"NEW DOG WITH OLD TRICKS - CLEVER HANS HOAX PULLED BY POOCH"

'It is said that unless we learn our history, we are doomed to repeat it - should that adage also include 'bad science' too? Nothing else demonstrates this like the school tour of "Jim The Wonder Dog", who goes through the motions that were best done way back in 1891, when Von Osten began parading his horse, "Clever Hans", all over Germany.

'"Clever Hans"? Why does that ring Pavlov's bell? Von Osten was a ....

Useful sources of more info:

http://www.skeptics.org.uk/article.php?dir=articles&article=clever_hans.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clever_Hans
http://skepdic.com/cleverhans.html

You can probably even use the pics, since the one on Wikipedia seems to be common use (taken pre-1907)?

badrescher

Feb 2, 2009, 10:33:10 AM2/2/09
to Critical Teaching
As usual, K, excellent advice.

I have a dissertation to write myself, so, if someone else would like
to do it... ;>

I don't think think it's a huge task, so I'll keep at it.

I have some experience with press releases (although that was a very
long time ago). Nevertheless, I have some ideas to reach a fairly
large national audience. I will also develop a teaching demo, test it
on my students, and post the final version here.

Thanks for your support & encouragement and for your fantastic ideas &
words.

On Feb 2, 12:59 am, "kil...@gmail.com" <kil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, I've been trying to avoid writing anything more on this... but when I
> was standing in line to pay bills at the post office, I kept writing notes.
> ARGHH!! I have a thesis to write... and this just kept bouncing about in my
> mind like a performing poodle... :)
>
> Firstly - did you see Wikipedia now features this on the Clever Hans page?
> As of 31st January:
>
> *On January 30, 2009, 'Dave the Math Dog' was featured on NBC Nightly News,
> who demonstrated that he could solve math problems by the tapping of his
> paws. Dave demonstrated these abilities in front of schoolchildren, giving
> them hope that the abilities of Clever Hans would someday soon be rectified.
> *
>
> So, there's clearly a groundswell starting - take advantage of it!
> *
> *
>
>    - *Write a snappy, science-history based article for the Science Teaching
>    Association Journal in your state / for the Teacher's Union / for any public
>    or private Teaching magazine. You might even try your local Parenting
>    magazine too.*
>
> This has to get out to the stakeholders, first and foremost. There are
> schools who are being ripped off by this and school communities being shown
> bad science.
>
> Essentially, this is a Press Release turned article - and you can even
> abbreviate it into a Press Release to be sent out. A Press Release is only
> one page in length total, with all the main facts put into neat paragraphs
> and your contact details at the end.
>
> You might even like asking the local Science Teaching Association if they'd
> send out something to the schools about it?
>
>    - *Then it's letter to the editor, letter to the station that broadcast
>    the story and certainly it can then double-up as an article for eSkeptic
>    and/or SWIFT. You might consider zipping it into Skeptical Briefs, the
>    mail-out mag by the CSI and adding at the end of the article that you and
>    other teachers from Critical Teaching Group are planning to turn up to the
>    next Dragon*Con and you'd love to help out other teachers.*
>
> *"NEW DOG WITH OLD TRICKS - CLEVER HANS HOAX PULLED BY POOCH"
>
> 'It is said that unless we learn our history, we are doomed to repeat it -
> should that adage also include 'bad science' too? Nothing else demonstrates
> this like the school tour of "Jim The Wonder Dog", who goes through the
> motions that were best done way back in 1891, when Von Osten began parading
> his horse, "Clever Hans", all over Germany.
> **
> '"Clever Hans"? Why does that ring Pavlov's bell? Von Osten was a ....*
>
> Useful sources of more info:
>
> http://www.skeptics.org.uk/article.php?dir=articles&article=clever_ha...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clever_Hanshttp://skepdic.com/cleverhans.html

Matt Lowry

Feb 3, 2009, 10:10:28 PM2/3/09
to Critical Teaching
Hi Barb et al,

I'm currently blogging about another subject, but I plan to make a
post tomorrow (Wednesday) night about "Dave the Math Dog". Look for
it in the next couple of days at

http://skepticalteacher.wordpress.com

> After I post it, I may email Shermer (to start with) and suggest "Math
> Dogs" for Skeptologists. Has anyone heard anything about whether the
> show has been picked up yet? Or maybe Mythbusters would like to take
> it on. Hell, I'd fly to IL myself and do it (assuming the owner is
> willing), but I think it needs a wide audience.

No word yet on whether or not Skeptologists has been picked up, though
I know they're working hard on it.

Btw, did you mention this whole "Dave the Math Dog" thing is in
Illinois? That's where I live! I haven't looked into it yet -
perhaps I can get some local skeptics interested in checking it out?
We do have a branch of the Center For Inquiry in Chicago.

Well, at the very least I'll blog about it. Stay tuned.

Cheers - Matt

kil...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2009, 10:35:22 PM2/3/09
to critical...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful, great to see people on it and all the best with writing Barb!! :D

*gets back to writing myself!*