Critical thinking exercise

1 view

mcr...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2008, 6:11:21 PM11/24/08
to Critical Teaching
I'm always on the look out for good materials to practice critical
thinking on. Now, I don't have any particular bias against the cotton
industry per se, except that in Australia - the driest permanently
inhabited continent on the planet - having it as a massive industry
seems, well...silly. To be polite. :)

I happened upon their website recently:
http://www.cottonaustralia.com.au/facts/factsandfigures.aspx?id=16 and
was fairly amazed at just how perfect an example it was of a resource
which could be used for critical thinking. The most useful part, IMO,
is the table at the bottom.

Now again, I don't mean to single them out. It's not exactly 'woo' of
any kind. But the subtle spin in how they present their information
would be perfect for discussion, for that very reason. Keep in mind
that as far as I can tell, nothing on the page is incorrect as far as
the facts go.

Mike