Science by Email Activity Archive

Mike....@csiro.au

Feb 4, 2009, 5:29:35 PM2/4/09
to critical...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I apologise for radio silence for the past few weeks - I've had a series of things to nail for the beginning of the year.

One of them you might all be interested in. As many of you know, I write an email newsletter called 'Science by Email' for CSIRO. If you're not signed up, it's a fantastic little resource which essentially consists of a news story and an activity. The activity aims to use fairly simple, easy to get items to explain a scientific concept. You can sign up at www.csiro.au/sciencemail (if you're a teacher or a parent, it's perfect for kids and students to us).

Recently we hit 30 000 email addresses. I've been pushing for a while to get some of our past activities online for public use, without paying for it. This was a bit of a struggle, but I succeeded in the end and now you can find about 100 of them at http://www.csiro.au/resources/SbE-Activity-Archive.html.

Please go and check them out. I included a section down the bottom on 'Sense and Perception' which will be most useful for critical thinking and skepticism. If you can send it on to other people, I'd be most appreciative. I know these seems like a blatant plug (well...it is), but considering it's free and useful, I don't see the harm.

Thanks!

Mike

Mike McRae
Science by Email, CSIRO Education
PO Box 225, Dickson  ACT  2602
Phone: 02 6276 6291     Mobile:  0423 596 774
Email: mike.mcrae@csiro.au | Web: www.csiro.au/education

kil...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2009, 6:53:03 PM2/4/09
to critical...@googlegroups.com
Just plugged it! http://podblack.com/?p=1217

Everyone, go hit the Digg and Stumble Upon, Reddit and etc links for the archive, help get it known! :)

badrescher

Feb 4, 2009, 9:52:31 PM2/4/09
to Critical Teaching
Mike,

I'm going to put link on one of my course websites. Some of the topics
are covered in my perception & cognition course and those that are not
are great "further learning" areas.

- Barb

Matt Lowry

Feb 5, 2009, 12:47:16 PM2/5/09
to Critical Teaching

Looks as if I've got a topic for my next blog post :)

I'll plug it as best I can. Thanks for the heads up, Mike!

Cheers - Matt

Matt Lowry

Feb 9, 2009, 11:39:45 PM2/9/09
to Critical Teaching
Mike,

I gave the Science By Email thing a plug at
http://skepticalteacher.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/science-by-email/

Also, I signed up for the newsletter. How often does it come out?

Cheers - Matt

Michael McRae

Feb 10, 2009, 3:07:10 AM2/10/09
to critical...@googlegroups.com