Hi from new member

1 view

Richard Philabaum

Oct 31, 2007, 6:42:11 PM10/31/07
to Critical Manners
Hi All!

  I came upon your group while doing research on "Critical Mass" rides. Found the 14 April 2007 article in the San Francisco Chronicle on the Critical Manners Ride.

  I have read about Critical Mass for a long time now and liked the idea behind the rides but disagree with the methods that are used in some of them.  Critical Mass was started to celabrate cycling and assert the cycists' right to the road. I think the civil disobidience, rudeness, disregard for the traffic laws, and confrontational attitude displayed by some of the people I have read about on Critical Mass rides is wrong and counterprodutive to the goals trying to be achieved.

 The polite, legal approach you are taking with Critical Manners makes more sense to me. I would like to see this happen in my city (Phoenix, AZ) as well.

  I am primarily a vehiclular cyclist (I do not own a motor vehicle). As a vehicular cyclist I assert my right to the road on a daily basis (200 plus miles a week). I do so in the same manner you advocate: legally and politely.

  Most motorists (and cyclists too!) are ignorant of the traffic laws, rights, and resposibilities of bicyclists. Several times a week I am told to get off the road and ride on the sidewalk where I belong (sometimes even by other people on bikes!). Education is the answer and Critical Manners could be part of that.

 Best wishes in your wonderful endeavor.

 Richard Philabaum

Critical...@gmail.com

Nov 4, 2007, 2:36:38 PM11/4/07
to Critical Manners Ride SF
Phil,

Thank you for writing! I do favor a more moderate approach than
Critical Mass, but Critical Manners and Critical Mass share the same
goal of making the roads safer for bikes.

You are welcome to start a Phoenix chapter of Critical Manners. I know
that we have rides now in Seattle, we might have on in Portland, and
I'd surely love to see another ride. Please let me know if you start a
group in Phoenix.

Thank you!

Reama