base editing validation

Gozde

Jul 7, 2023, 6:00:43 AM7/7/23
to Genome Engineering using CRISPR/Cas Systems

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner in genome editing.

I have been trying to optimize base editing in human primary dermal fibroblasts. Currently I am using plasmids;   47511 pFYF1320 EGFP Site#1 and 112099 pCMV_BE4max_P2A_GFP and following the protocol from Precision genome editing using cytosine and adenine base editors in mammalian cells. Nat Protoc 16, 1089–1128 (2021).

I've had a few trials with different gRNAs that I assumed failed (no difference in sanger sequencing trace files).

My question is do you think is it possible to validate genomic modification with sanger sequencing without enrichment ?

My concern is to check that my gRNAs are working without enrichment by flow sorting and/or ngs analysis due to higher costs and availability.

ps. I am using Neon transfection system and I optimized my transfection conditions with a GFP plasmid (pcDNA).

3 days after transfection of gRNA plasmid and BE plasmid,  I isolated genomic DNA and tried to verify modification with sanger sequencing.

I'd be glad if you'd have any comment and/or recommendation.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Gozde

Karim Daliri

Jul 7, 2023, 6:06:05 AM7/7/23
to Gozde, Genome Engineering using CRISPR/Cas Systems
Hi Gozde

Try NGS , Sanger is not valid that much.

Bw
Karim

mengfang xia

Aug 13, 2023, 10:15:12 PM8/13/23
to Genome Engineering using CRISPR/Cas Systems

Hi Gozde

from my experience, it's fine to try sanger, However  enrichment is necessary, except that you have a high transfection efficiency.