Ushahidi-Chile in the works + partnerships

Patrick Meier

Feb 27, 2010, 9:51:07 AM2/27/10
to crisis...@googlegroups.com, crisismap...@googlegroups.com, David Kobia, Jon Gossier
Hi All,

The Ushahidi Tech Team is deploying an Ushahidi platform for Chile.

We would like to partner right away with groups like OCHA and others
to deploy and manage the platform. Could you please let me know if
your organization will be responding and who I can get in touch with
earlier rather than later to connect the dots if you are interested in
collaborating?

Thank you very much,
Patrick

bdwillet

Feb 27, 2010, 12:17:15 PM2/27/10
to CrisisMappers-Chile

I live down in southern Chile, 1200 miles south of the epicenter so no
problems here in Punta Arenas.

Does anybody know of any GIS volunteers opportunities down here? I am
also making contacts here but communication is spotty. Most of my
Chilean friends in government GIS are saying just to wait and see.

I seem to have a lot of GIS and CAD data of the area affected, though
no metadata of course. Just found it in my DVD sets.
I spent some time with the GIS Corps after Katrina and Liberia with
the UN-OCHA through VVAF.

caio,

bruce

Chris

Feb 27, 2010, 12:23:59 PM2/27/10
to CrisisMappers-Chile
To be clear, because SMS-based crisis support infrastructure is much
more than Ushahidi, Sahana, inSTEDD software and a mechanical Turk
service on AWS for translation:

a) who is establishing the SMS short code, with what TELCO(s)?
(inSTEDD/Thompson?)

b) will a "Crowdflower" group be necessary for Spanish, and/or
specific named places?

c) Who will act as the centralized dispatch mechanism? (Chile
government?)

Chris Nicholas

Subu S.

Feb 27, 2010, 12:24:29 PM2/27/10
to crisismap...@googlegroups.com, bdwi...@n2.net
Bruce,

Please keep in touch with us - Delta State University's GIT Center, Mississippi, USA. I am waiting to see how we are going to help. We made a lot of letter size and A4 size map books at various map scales based on the US Military Grid Reference system/ US National Grid (~ 5000 downloadable, pdfs and geopdfs) for Haiti .

I am waiting to see how we will get spun up for this one. We work closely with USGS in all such disaster mapping response.

Thanks
Subu

--
Subramanian Swaminathan
Education and Projects Coordinator

SteveRadich-BitShop.com

Feb 27, 2010, 1:34:10 PM2/27/10
to CrisisMappers-Chile
> We would like to partner right away with groups like OCHA and others
> to deploy and manage the platform.

I can offer hosting (servers, infrastructure, etc.) as well as
installation assistance if needed. We have a data center / servers
within Equinix Ashburn with giabit ethernet uplink to the net. I can
also assist with the existing servers if there is a need.

> Could you please let me know if
> your organization will be responding and who I can get in touch with
> earlier rather than later to connect the dots if you are interested in
> collaborating?

Steve Radich
Owner - www.BitShop.com
President Elect Rotary Club of Sterling, VA USA
Skype: bitshopstever
Mobile: 1.571.723.3398
Ashburn, VA USA (Washington, DC area). Currently at WorldBank DC
office if anyone else is here..

Carol Waters

Feb 27, 2010, 1:43:08 PM2/27/10
to crisismap...@googlegroups.com
we are hoping to hook up with a gis/tech group at a uni in chile if possible - do you have any contacts down there?
--
Carol Waters
Director, Communications and Strategic Partnerships

M.A. in Law and Diplomacy Candidate 2010
The Fletcher School • Tufts University
http://fletcher.tufts.edu

Marten Hogeweg

Feb 27, 2010, 1:51:06 PM2/27/10
to crisismap...@googlegroups.com

I suggest you contact GISCorps:  www.giscorps.org

Marten

Jean-Guilhem Cailton

Feb 27, 2010, 6:17:05 PM2/27/10
to Julio Costa Zambelli, Bruce Willett, tal...@openstreetmap.org, ta...@openstreetmap.org, crisismap...@googlegroups.com
Do you have ideas of things to do / tasks ?

I think satellite imagery should be available "soon" for tracing.

Do you guys know the impacted area ?

Maybe you could plan some kind of work plan for volunteers to help ?

(e.g. with a wiki page, or a shared spreadsheet on Google Doc)

How to split the work ? By area ?

What would be priority themes ?

Locate damages announced in the news ? (Damaged roads, collapsed
bridges, maybe damaged buildings ? )

How to coordinate ? talk-cl (OSM specific), crisismappers-chile (more
general, e.g. also including Ushahidi), osm-talk (to get general OSM
attention) ?

Is there an IRC channel ?

(The most relevant I am aware of might be #crisiscommons on irc.rhok.org

Of course, there is also #osm on oftc.net, for OSM stuff)

Best

(puedo hablar espanol o traducir si es mejor /
I can help translating to / from Spanish)

Jean-Guilhem
Toulouse, France
OpenStreetMap volunteer
(Experience with Haiti mapping - especially regarding health facilities,
PAHO (Pan American Health Organization) Master List, etc.
professionally works with satellite images - research and software
development for image analysis, segmentation...)

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Feb 27, 2010, 6:54:41 PM2/27/10
to crisismap...@googlegroups.com, Jean-Guilhem Cailton, Julio Costa Zambelli, Bruce Willett, tal...@openstreetmap.org, ta...@openstreetmap.org, crisismap...@googlegroups.com
I have some Twitter stuff going

1. A ViralHeat profile collecting all "Social Media" hits relevant. I
have API access and can dump this stuff, but haven't had a chance to
do much else. http://meb.tw/c1FXKw

2. I posted some Ruby code to track the Streaming API at
http://github.com/znmeb/Chile-Quake-Tracking.

3. I am doing a geosearch on Twitter back in time for an area 325 km
radius around the epicenter. That includes Santiago. I plan to post
that CSV file somewhere once it gets back in time to the or an hour or
so before. That will give us a list of people that Twitter believes
are in the area.
--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
borasky-research.net/m-edward-ed-borasky/

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." ~ Paul Erd?s

Jean-Guilhem Cailton

Mar 2, 2010, 3:31:48 AM3/2/10
to Julio Costa Zambelli, Leo Soto M., Agustin Villena, tal...@openstreetmap.org, crisismap...@googlegroups.com
Hola,

En Haiti, Ushahidi uso OSM fondo.

Si los elementos (cartográficos) geo-localizados de Ushahidi estuvieran
accesibles fácilmente para OSM, sería bueno.

Saludos,

Jean-Guilhem