Fwd: Help Map Events in Chile

1 view

Jaclyn Carlsen

Mar 2, 2010, 6:53:00 PM3/2/10
to crisismap...@googlegroups.com, sipa-ushahid...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

We had some great questions come in today from our mappers and monitors. I'm not positive that this is the correct forum for this question, but with all the mapping experts on here, I thought I'd give it a try.

We are wondering if our monitors should duplicate the information found on the sources below on our map or if there is a method of integrating with the Ushahidi site. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Jaclyn Carlsen

From: Jaclyn Carlsen <jaclyn....@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:51 PM
To: Glenn Denning <gd2...@columbia.edu>

We would be thrilled to share about it in April; that should be a good time. It seems as if there are a number of people interested in mapping in our group.

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Glenn Denning <gd2...@columbia.edu> wrote:

Jaclyn,

Congratulations to you and the MPA-DP team for taking this initiative.  I would like you and the team to report back on this in April at one of our Friday Practitioners Seminars or maybe the larger TropAg colloquium that we hold on Friday afternoons.  It would be a way to explore how this approach may be adapted to a wider range of development initiatives, beyond emergencies (e.g., tracking Malawi’s fertilizer subsidy program).  Possible?

Thanks,

Glenn

Glenn Denning, PhD

Professor of Professional Practice

School of International and Public Affairs

& the Earth Institute

Columbia University

420 West 118th Street, Room 1434

New York, NY 10027

+1-212-854-4787 (office)

+1-646-327-5112 (mobile)

gden...@ei.columbia.edu

From: Matthew Walter <ma...@mbwalter.com>
Date: Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 1:09 AM
Subject: Help Map Events in Chile
To: "MICHAEL SMITH, BLOOMBERG/ NEWSROOM:" <mss...@bloomberg.net>

Amigos Chilenos, You've all been in my thoughts over the past few days, and I hope you're all continuing to recover. I know a lot of people outside of Chile are looking for ways to help, and I just wanted to pass on some information about a Web site that's helping organize and map information about the disaster to help the aid effort. We are looking for a group of students or a volunteer organization in Chile that might be able to help, and I am wondering if any of you might have suggestions. Ushahidi, which means "testimony" in Swahili, is a Web site that was originally developed to map reports of violence in Kenya in 2008, using information gathered from text messages, e-mails and messages on social media. Since then its been used in other crises, including the recent earthquake in Haiti, and now the disaster in Chile. Read about it here: http://www.ushahidi.com/about A Chile page is already up and running, and if you check it out you can see that a wide variety of information is being posted, ranging from addresses and locations of damaged or destroyed buildings, drop off points to donate supplies, supermarkets and pharmacies that are open for business, etc. People on the ground in Chile can send in information from their cell phones or computers. In some cases they have even been able to map locations where people are trapped, which is then passed on to people who could help. http://chile.ushahidi.com/ And here is a blog post on the effort: http://blog.ushahidi.com/index.php/2010/02/28/sipa-volzunteers-take-lead-on-ushahidi-chile/ The idea is that this information can be recorded on this public Web site to provide a tool for aid agencies and Non-governmental organizations. The Ushahidi founders have asked students at Columbia to help monitor the situation on the ground in Chile. We will be working in shifts in the coming weeks to receive information sent in electronically from the field in Chile to compile it on the Web site and map it. If you can think of a university organization or any other type of association in Chile that's looking for a way to help and might be able to partner with us, it would be great if you could pass that along. Also, if you know of any media contacts in Chile who could help spread the word about this Web site, those would also be a big help.

Thank you very much in advance for any ideas you might have. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all. Matt

--
Jaclyn Carlsen
MPA in Development Practice Candidate 2011, Columbia University - Earth Institute

--
Jaclyn Carlsen
MPA in Development Practice Candidate 2011, Columbia University - Earth Institute
www.jaclyncarlsen.com  |  linkedin.com/in/jaclyncarlsen  |  http://mdp.ei.columbia.edu/  |  twitter.com/JaclynLeigh

--
Jaclyn Carlsen
MPA in Development Practice Candidate 2011, Columbia University - Earth Institute
www.jaclyncarlsen.com  |  linkedin.com/in/jaclyncarlsen  |  http://mdp.ei.columbia.edu/  |  twitter.com/JaclynLeigh

--
Denise Lee

MPA in Development Practice, Candidate 2011
Columbia University | School of International and Public Affairs | Earth Institute
E: denis...@gmail.com