Visualizing streamlines in ParaView

Jennifer

Jun 22, 2020, 4:24:53 PM6/22/20
to CRIMSON Users
Hello all,

I'm not yet proficient with ParaView and am currently trying to view the streamlines in a simple cylinder. After uploading and applying my file, I'm able to view the velocity gradient. I then choose Filters > Alphabetical > Stream Tracer > Apply. After choosing to view with the "Point Source" seed type, increasing the sphere radius, and increasing the number of points, I am able to view some streamlines. However, I am only seeing streamlines at the surface. I can't seem to find any options that include volumetric streamlines, i.e. velocity from the center of the cylinder outward. I have also changed from "surface" to "volume" prior to using Stream Tracer with no luck. Upon initial upload into ParaView, there is clearly a magnitude for velocity along the center line. I will attach a screen shot of both for reference. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations on how to go about viewing the streamlines throughout the model.

Thanks!
Jennifer
cylinder_velocity_screenshot.png
cylinder_streamlines.png

Mehrdad Yousefi

Jun 22, 2020, 4:35:40 PM6/22/20
to Jennifer, CRIMSON Users
Hi Jennifer,

Please use this workflow to create streamline:

1. At the first step make sure your velocity field is in a point data format. If it's not, convert it to point data by using the "Point Data to Cell Data" filter.
2. From filters choose "Mask Points". In the field called "On Ratio" put the ratio of the number of total points in your geometry (you can find the total number of points in your geometry by clicking on "Information" and reading the "Number of Points") over the number of streamlines that you want to have. For example: if you have 1000 points and you want to have 100 streamlines, put 1000/100 = 10 in the "On Ratio" field.
3. Put the number of streamlines in the "Maximum Number of Points". For example: if you choose to have 100 streamlines, put 100 in the "Maximum Number of Points" field. Don't forget to click on Apply!
4. From filters choose "Stream Tracer With Custom Source" and choose your initial data as source and choose the mask points that you created as seeds. Again click on Apply!

Hopefully now you should see more packed streamlines everywhere in your geometry cause this workflow tries to distribute streamlines uniformly throughout your geometry. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Mehrdad

Mehrdad Yousefi
PhD Candidate, Graduate Research Assistant
Clemson Cyber Infrastructure Technology Visualization
Clemson University
266 Sirrine Hall
311 Cooper Library
Clemson, SC 29634-0971

Chris Arthurs

Jun 23, 2020, 2:08:18 PM6/23/20
to Mehrdad Yousefi, Jennifer, CRIMSON Users
Dear Jennifer,

I just wanted to add something here - and that is to be certain that it is indeed streamlines (and not pathlines) that you want. My apologies if you are already aware of this, but in my experience, pathlines are usually far more useful in cardiovascular problems, due to the time-dependent nature of the solution field, and the fact that transport is typically a key point of interest.

Determining pathlines will require some Lagrangian particle tracking capabilities, which will very soon be available as part of CRIMSON Pro.

Best,
Chris

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 9:35 PM Mehrdad Yousefi <you...@g.clemson.edu> wrote:
[...]

Chris Arthurs, D. Phil.
King's Prize Research Fellow
Imaging Sciences and Biomedical Engineering
King's College London
UK
==
CRIMSON Cardiovascular Modelling Environment: http://www.crimson.software/