Generating paraview file using "multipostsolver"

Jennifer

Aug 31, 2019, 6:20:22 PM8/31/19
to CRIMSON Users
Hi there,

I've been attempting to use the "multipostsolver.bat" file to generate a Paraview file for viewing multiple time steps, and I have a few questions: I am using the 3D complete model from the CRIMSON website, and have already had success running the flow simulation using all default parameters and viewing in Paraview. Using the initial parameters, (# of time steps = 200, and time step size = .0001) and carrying out steps 1 and 2 below left my command window running for a very long time (> an hour, until I ultimately terminated it), is this normal?

1) Navigate to the directory containing the multipostsolver file: C:\Program Files\CRIMSON 2019.08.01\bin\Python\lib\site-packages\CRIMSONSolver\SolverStudies\flowsolver
2) Running the code specified in the first line of the file:   multipostsolver.bat "C:\Users\xxxxxxxxx\Documents\xxxxxxxxxdata\CRIMSON\sims_\sim_1\2-procs-case" 0 200 .0001

I have run the flow solver for the same model using variations in the number of time steps while keeping all other parameters the same, in attempt to shorten the length of time to write the file, i.e. change 200 to 50, 10, 5, etc. I was also able to let it run to completion once, using a variation in both # time steps and step size and had no issue opening in Paraview and viewing the model. However, when I tried to click through the different time steps or use the "play" option in this instance, I received errors that the files could not open.

In the portion of the code in step 2, above, (start_index end_index increment) is "end index" the same value as "number of time steps" designated in CRIMSON's solver parameters tab? Or would it be the actual final time step value? For example, with the original 200 time steps, final time step would be 0.02? I found it odd that it would take so long to generate a .pht file with just 5 time steps. Seems as though I'm overlooking something here. If anyone can help with the specifics of viewing multiple time steps, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jennifer

Arthurs, Christopher

Sep 1, 2019, 3:52:03 PM9/1/19
to Jennifer, CRIMSON Users
Hi Jennifer,

I think you're almost there with this. The issue is that the .0001 you're putitng in should be the number of time-steps between the restarts you want to reduce, rather than the time-step size in seconds. For example if you're outputting every 10 steps, and running 200 steps total, then you would do

  multipostsolver.bat "C:\Users\xxxxxxxxx\Documents\xxxxxxxxxdata\CRIMSON\sims_\sim_1\2-procs-case" 0 200 10

And it would output on steps 0, 10, 20, 30,... 200. You could change the 10 to a 20, and you'd get steps 0, 20, 40,..., 200. Just make sure that you have output available from your original simulaiton for each step that you're requesting (i.e. don't choose 5 if your simulation was outputting every 10 steps, as it won't be able to find steps 5, 15, 25...).

Let us know how you get on with that.

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris Arthurs, D. Phil.
King's Prize Research Fellow
Imaging Sciences and Biomedical Engineering
King's College London
UK
==
CRIMSON Cardiovascular Modelling Environment: http://www.crimson.software/