Geometric modeling toward CAD

Constantin Krempp

Feb 16, 2021, 8:17:35 AM2/16/21
to CRIMSON Users

Hi everyone,

I am trying to reconstruct blood vessels using the path planning geometric modeling tool. I want to export these files into CAD format. The geometries are filled internally, and I don’t see any option to prevent this. I was wondering if there is a way to create hollowed geometries either in CRIMSON or downstream in the process.

In the end I would like to have hollowed vessels reconstructed in a CAD format (.step for instance).

Do you have any advice?

Constantin

C. Alberto Figueroa

Feb 16, 2021, 8:32:09 AM2/16/21
to Constantin Krempp, CRIMSON Users
Constantin

The CAD routines in CRIMSON produce indeed filled volumes due to the lofting operations of the path planning process.

You could export the file in one of the supported CAD formats, and in a CAD program (SolidWorks, AutoCAD, or many others) see if you find a function to hollow out the volume so you are left with just a surface.

This feature is a very CAD-specific function, and CRIMSON is not intended to be a CAD program.

I hope this helps!

C. Alberto Figueroa, PhD

Edward B. Diethrich M.D. Professor of Biomedical Engineering and Vascular Surgery

Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering

University of Michigan

North Campus Research Complex B20-210W

http://bloodflow.engin.umich.edu/

http://www.crimson.software/