Proposed changes to Singapore's Copyright Act

Harish Pillay

Aug 23, 2016, 1:49:54 AM8/23/16
to creativecomm...@googlegroups.com
Hi. I would like to have the CC SG group review and comment on the proposed
changes to Singapore's copyright act. The Ministry of Law has released
as consultation
paper:

https://www.mlaw.gov.sg/content/dam/minlaw/corp/assets/documents/Public%20Consultation%20Paper%20on%20Proposed%20Changes%20to%20Copyright%20Regime%20in%20Singapore%20August%202016.pdf

which is think is useful to start with.

There are questions in the paper that can be answered and additional
comments made.
Would be good if we can coordinate this using a wiki/etherpad.

Harish

Ivan Chew

Aug 26, 2016, 12:32:31 AM8/26/16
to creativecomm...@googlegroups.com

Hi Harish,
I'm embarrassed that I posted the link for Min Law's call for public consultation in all other platforms EXCEPT this one! Sheesh. :)

Let me start a Google Doc for this purpose (effectively a wiki anyway).

Give me a week to sort out stuff. I have emails from CC HQ and HackerspaceSG, and I intend to work out a schedule wrt collating and submitting feedback from CC-SG as a community group, by 24 Oct.

Cheers
Ivan

Ivan Chew

Sep 15, 2016, 1:23:27 PM9/15/16
to creativecomm...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone,
Here's my take from the 8th Sept public Townhall session. Chung Nian and I were there and we had a quick discussion on the next steps (see the last part of this email).

Highlights
1. MinLaw clarified that this round of public consultation is to seek views before they start drafting specific changes to the law. They will only start the legal drafts stage (hope I'm using the right legal term) after this round public consultation. There will be another round of public consultation after they come up with the legal drafts (no time frame mentioned).

2. IPOS CEO expressed, without any room for doubt in my mind, that they do not intend to ban VPN. This came up during Q&A.

3. The Minlaw staff presented slides for each of the proposed change. It wasn't tevhnical at all. A non-legal trained person like me could follow, though from the Q&A, I'd say you need at least a rudimentary understanding of what copyright is/ isn't, what can/ cannot be copyrighted etc.

4. For each proposed change, they talked about the current situation/ issue, and the Before/ After scenarios of the change. I did not ask for their slides, so you could write to MinLaw to request for it. The paper is a lot more comprehensive though, so I'd encourage you to read the paper rather than rely on the slides (if you get them). The slides don't cover every facet of the change.

5. MinLaw & IPOS folks came across as genuine in wanting to reach out for views. They offered to hold briefing sessions for specific communities, as from the Q&A there were deeper industry-specific feedback to be umcovered. E.g. The museums seem to have specific concerns, as with the educators wrt Fair Dealing changes. Write in to MinLaw to organise a session.

6. Just found out while writing this email: the second public Townhall session is cancelled.
https://www.mlaw.gov.sg/content/minlaw/en/CopyrightReview/registration-for-townhall.html

Next steps (Chung Nian and my thoughts after the session)
1. We arrived at the same conclusion that at this point of the consultation, there's no proposal area where CC can give very directed comments (the legal drafts would be a different matter). Maybe general suggestions at best.

2. So we'll suggest/ request CC HQ to offer a statement instead. It might be more appropriate for CC HQ to state a general position, and they could garner a broader perspective from other jurisdictions.

3. In any case, I will start a shared doc (so sorry for the delay; still swamped with work & stuff) to see if the community has CC-specific comments in relation to the proposed changes. We'll channel the comments to CC Hq.

Thanks
Ivan

On 23 Aug 2016 13:49, "Harish Pillay" <harish...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi. I would like to have the CC SG group review and comment on the proposed
changes to Singapore's copyright act. The Ministry of Law has released
as consultation
paper:

https://www.mlaw.gov.sg/content/dam/minlaw/corp/assets/documents/Public%20Consultation%20Paper%20on%20Proposed%20Changes%20to%20Copyright%20Regime%20in%20Singapore%20August%202016.pdf

which is think is useful to start with.

There are questions in the paper that can be answered and additional
comments made.
Would be good if we can coordinate this using a wiki/etherpad.

Harish

Harish Pillay

Sep 28, 2016, 3:40:27 AM9/28/16
to creativecomm...@googlegroups.com
Ivan and all -

The Internet Society is holding a meeting with some lawyers who have kindly
volunteered their expertise to respond to the copyright proposals.

We are planning on meeting on October 4th (next week) and would be good
to have some representation from CC.

The intention is for there to be a wide collaboration on the issues
and submitting
a collective response which would minimally include the Internet
Society Singapore
Chapter, Creative Commons Singapore and (still working on) Singapore Computer
Society.

Appreciate a reply ASAP.

Harish

Ivan Chew

Sep 28, 2016, 5:41:26 AM9/28/16
to creativecomm...@googlegroups.com

Hi Harish,
May I know what's the time and venue for the meeting?

I've emailed Chung Nian to check on his availability, since it sounds like a CC-SG rep with legal knowledge is needed. But I'd be happy to attend if my schedule allows. I can only confirm by end of this week.

Btw, CC-HQ has agreed to provide a general statement and comments, in lieu of a submission from CC-SG (reasons explained in my earlier post). Let me check when CC HQ intends to have their draft ready. We can see if it'll make sense to fit into the broader submission you mentioned.

Thanks
Ivan

Harish Pillay

Sep 29, 2016, 9:17:48 PM9/29/16
to creativecomm...@googlegroups.com
Ivan -

> Hi Harish,
> May I know what's the time and venue for the meeting?

Octo ber 4th at 6:30pm. I am trying to find a location to meet - there
would be about 5-8 people and would be in the city somewhere.

> I've emailed Chung Nian to check on his availability, since it sounds like a
> CC-SG rep with legal knowledge is needed. But I'd be happy to attend if my
> schedule allows. I can only confirm by end of this week.
>
> Btw, CC-HQ has agreed to provide a general statement and comments, in lieu
> of a submission from CC-SG (reasons explained in my earlier post). Let me
> check when CC HQ intends to have their draft ready. We can see if it'll make
> sense to fit into the broader submission you mentioned.

Cetainly helpful.

Harish

> Thanks
> Ivan
>

> On Sep 28, 2016 3:40 PM, "Harish Pillay" <harish...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ivan and all -
>>
>> The Internet Society is holding a meeting with some lawyers who have
>> kindly volunteered their expertise to respond to the copyright proposals.
>>
>> We are planning on meeting on October 4th (next week) and would be good
>> to have some representation from CC.
>>
>> The intention is for there to be a wide collaboration on the issues
>> and submitting a collective response which would minimally include the Internet
>> Society Singapore Chapter, Creative Commons Singapore and (still working on) Singapore
>> Computer Society.
>>
>> Appreciate a reply ASAP.
>>
>> Harish
>>
>> --
Harish Pillay h.pi...@ieee.org gpg id: 746809E3

Ivan Chew

Sep 30, 2016, 6:13:32 AM9/30/16
to creativecomm...@googlegroups.com

Harish, if it helps I can ask if SMU Library can assist with a meeting room or discussion space. Let me know.

>> To post to this group, send email to

>> Visit this group at
>> https://groups.google.com/group/creativecommonssingapore.
>
> --
Harish Pillay h.pi...@ieee.org gpg id: 746809E3

Harish Pillay

Sep 30, 2016, 6:34:55 AM9/30/16
to creativecomm...@googlegroups.com
> Harish, if it helps I can ask if SMU Library can assist with a meeting room
> or discussion space. Let me know.

Great. Please do so.

Thanks.

Harish
>>> email to creativecommonssin...@googlegroups.com.
>>> To post to this group, send email to
>>> creativecomm...@googlegroups.com.
>>> Visit this group at
>>> https://groups.google.com/group/creativecommonssingapore.
>>
>> --
>> Visit this group at
>> https://groups.google.com/group/creativecommonssingapore.
>

> --
> Harish Pillay h.pi...@ieee.org gpg id: 746809E3
>
> --
> Visit this group at
> https://groups.google.com/group/creativecommonssingapore.

Ivan Chew

Oct 2, 2016, 10:54:20 PM10/2/16
to creativecomm...@googlegroups.com

Hi Harish,
My contact at SMU Library isn't able to provide a space, unfortunately.

It looks like my work schedule doesn't allow me to make it for your meeting tomorrow, sorry. Not sure if Chung Nian has replied to you directly.

I'll ask the CCHQ rep when he intends to have his draft ready, and see if he's OK if I float that draft to you.

Regards,
Ivan

>>> To post to this group, send email to

>>> Visit this group at
>>> https://groups.google.com/group/creativecommonssingapore.
>>
>> --

>> Visit this group at
>> https://groups.google.com/group/creativecommonssingapore.
>

> --
> Harish Pillay h.pi...@ieee.org gpg id: 746809E3
>
> --

> Visit this group at
> https://groups.google.com/group/creativecommonssingapore.
>

> --

> Visit this group at
> https://groups.google.com/group/creativecommonssingapore.

Harish Pillay h.pi...@ieee.org gpg id: 746809E3

Harish Pillay

Oct 2, 2016, 11:03:06 PM10/2/16
to creativecomm...@googlegroups.com
Ivan -

> My contact at SMU Library isn't able to provide a space, unfortunately.
>
> It looks like my work schedule doesn't allow me to make it for your meeting
> tomorrow, sorry. Not sure if Chung Nian has replied to you directly.
>
> I'll ask the CCHQ rep when he intends to have his draft ready, and see if
> he's OK if I float that draft to you.

Thanks for the follow up. It turns out that there were last minute
delays with some of the others and so we've decided to postpone
it. I hope to get the new proposed date soon. Would you have
any suggestions as well - most days are OK, except Tuesdays
(for me really) and we do this in the evening.

Harish

Ivan Chew

Oct 3, 2016, 1:51:11 PM10/3/16
to creativecomm...@googlegroups.com

Hi Harish, next 2 weeks are all equally challenging for me. But let me know a date and I'll *really* try my best to make it. We hardly meet up anyway and this is as good a chance as any.

Btw, Chung Nian has replied to you direct. Let's finalize the venue from that email thread instead. I'll post updates here, to close the loop later.

If anyone wishes to join the meeting, do post your request and contact email (will redirect to Harish, as it's their call for the meeting).

Cheers
Ivan

Luther Goh Lu Feng

Oct 3, 2016, 2:00:49 PM10/3/16
to creativecomm...@googlegroups.com
Please let me know if you wish to host the event at hackerspacesg. Many CC events have been held at hsg and I am sure various members will be happy to host. Just let me know finalised date/time and event details so that I can do the booking. Thanks.