Blog post in response to a press release about IPOS "copyright education" to Pri Schs

Ivan Chew

Jul 24, 2013, 11:18:27 PM7/24/13
to creativecomm...@googlegroups.com
From http://otterman.wordpress.com/2013/07/24/the-intellectual-property-office-of-singapore-and-primary-school-kids

"I think the people behind Creative Commons Singapore are better suited to promote a positive, empowering message which includes respect for the value of works by others and how to contribute meaningfully to the pool of shared information."

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Every Book its Reader; Every Reader his Book"

Harish Pillay

Jul 24, 2013, 11:24:10 PM7/24/13
to creativecomm...@googlegroups.com
Ivan -

> From
> http://otterman.wordpress.com/2013/07/24/the-intellectual-property-office-of-singapore-and-primary-school-kids
>
> "I think the people behind Creative Commons Singapore are better suited to
> promote a positive, empowering message which includes respect for the value
> of works by others and how to contribute meaningfully to the pool of shared
> information."

Thanks for the note. I was disappointed to note that CC SG was not even
invited. I've raised this many times with IPOS and they've only said a
cursory "ok", but never followed through. I will ping them again.

Harish

Ivan Chew

Jul 24, 2013, 11:45:49 PM7/24/13
to creativecomm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Harish. I'm curious about the exact content in the IPOS message to kids. I hope it also inform kids what they CAN do in terms of respect and fairness, rather than what they cannot.

Given the less-than-straightforward nature of IP, kids may end up receiving oversimplified motherhood statements. Seems to me IPOS should be targeting at teens in ITEs & Polys.

Ivan

Harish Pillay

Jul 24, 2013, 11:48:34 PM7/24/13
to creativecomm...@googlegroups.com
> Thanks, Harish. I'm curious about the exact content in the IPOS message to
> kids. I hope it also inform kids what they CAN do in terms of respect and
> fairness, rather than what they cannot.
>
> Given the less-than-straightforward nature of IP, kids may end up receiving
> oversimplified motherhood statements. Seems to me IPOS should be targeting
> at teens in ITEs & Polys.

I just pinged the person whom I've corresponded with at IPOS and he has
left them in April. Now I need to rebuild the relationship. Let's see what
they come back with.

Harish