coworking?

1 view

Ben Ullman

Jun 30, 2008, 12:51:59 PM6/30/08
to creative...@googlegroups.com
Question from an area graphic designer:
Anyone (3rd Places folks, perhaps...?) know of any co-working spaces around the Charlotte and Asheville area?

--
Ben Ullman
215-284-9023

longbrook

Jul 31, 2008, 10:25:08 PM7/31/08
to Charlotte Creative Catalysts
Hey everyone! I'm new here, but hope to have some great conversations
with you all from here on out...

Ben, I am currently researching the same thing, and can't find a
listing for a coworking space anywhere in Charlotte. The only ones I
have found in NC are in Carrboro and Greensboro.

That said, I am in the catalyst phase of the coworking concept, and am
seeing what the market in Charlotte is for such a space. My wife and
I are looking into starting one, but want feedback from the freelance
and independent business market in Charlotte as to whether it would be
a useful thing or not. We have a passion to see new and small
businesses grow and succeed here in Charlotte, and have been talking
about this on and off for about a year now, ever since being
introduced to the concept.

Would other people be interested in seeing a coworking space be
launched here in the Queen City? Would you use it? What locations
would be ideal for you?

--
nathan longbrook
[P] 704.778.0533

Ben Ullman

Aug 1, 2008, 11:00:13 AM8/1/08
to longbrook, Charlotte Creative Catalysts
Hi Nathan, thanks for stopping by! :)

Here's some info I got (via direct reply, hope they don't mind me publicizing...) shortly after posting the original question:

Lori Day said:
Central Piedmont Community College is happy to host entrepreneurs and small business owners at our "touchdown" space on the Central Campus of CPCC at the Institute for Entrepreneurship (Elizabeth Ave and Charlottetowne Ave.). Learn more at www.cpcc.edu/e-institute. Our building is WiFi and has work space and two conference rooms available to small business owners if needed on short-term/startup basis, by reservation. To reserve, contact Dave Madej at 704-330-OPEN (6736).

Asheville offers A-B Tech, among the many choices. Contact the SBC there at http://www.abtech.edu/sbc

Dan Peck added:
Charlotte's Magellan Center - not great but close - and the Regus Executive offerings. I just got an AMEX platinum card, and it allows free access to 950 Regus offices with free coffee, water, hi-speed internet, etc.

Where did you go to find listings? I would think the Raliegh area would have something like that going on... they tend to be a step ahead of us on the tech stuff...

Twitter might be a good place to ask around... lots of mobile-types. I'm @budesigns, and I post on the @CLTcc account as well.

Ben

longbrook

Aug 1, 2008, 11:14:34 AM8/1/08
to Charlotte Creative Catalysts
I found quite an exhaustive listing on the Coworking wiki page, but
nothing is listed for Charlotte. Thanks for putting me in touch with
Lori, and I've started communications with her. Have you or anyone
else here used the coworking space offered at either A-B Tech or
CPCC? Does it feel like you're back in college or like an actual
office environment? I'm going to go check it out (hopefully this
afternoon or Monday) to see what it's like and chat with some folks
there...

--
// nathan //
704/778/0533

On Aug 1, 11:00 am, "Ben Ullman" <b...@budesigns.com> wrote:
> Hi Nathan, thanks for stopping by! :)
>
> Here's some info I got (via direct reply, hope they don't mind me
> publicizing...) shortly after posting the original question:
>
> Lori Day said:
> Central Piedmont Community College is happy to host entrepreneurs and small
> business owners at our "touchdown" space on the Central Campus of CPCC at
> the Institute for Entrepreneurship (Elizabeth Ave and Charlottetowne Ave.).
> Learn more atwww.cpcc.edu/e-institute. Our building is WiFi and has work
> space and two conference rooms available to small business owners if needed
> on short-term/startup basis, by reservation. To reserve, contact Dave Madej
> at 704-330-OPEN (6736).
>
> Asheville offers A-B Tech, among the many choices. Contact the SBC there athttp://www.abtech.edu/sbc
>
> Dan Peck added:
> Charlotte's Magellan Center - not great but close - and the Regus Executive
> offerings. I just got an AMEX platinum card, and it allows free access to
> 950 Regus offices with free coffee, water, hi-speed internet, etc.
>
> Where did you go to find listings? I would think the Raliegh area would have
> something like that going on... they tend to be a step ahead of us on the
> tech stuff...
>
> Twitter might be a good place to ask around... lots of mobile-types. I'm
> @budesigns <http://twitter.com/budesigns>, and I post on the
> @CLTcc<http://twitter.com/cltcc>account as well.
> Ben
>

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 10:25 PM, longbrook <longbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey everyone!  I'm new here, but hope to have some great conversations
> > with you all from here on out...
>
> > Ben, I am currently researching the same thing, and can't find a
> > listing for a coworking space anywhere in Charlotte.  The only ones I
> > have found in NC are in Carrboro and Greensboro.
>
> > That said, I am in the catalyst phase of the coworking concept, and am
> > seeing what the market in Charlotte is for such a space.  My wife and
> > I are looking into starting one, but want feedback from the freelance
> > and independent business market in Charlotte as to whether it would be
> > a useful thing or not.  We have a passion to see new and small
> > businesses grow and succeed here in Charlotte, and have been talking
> > about this on and off for about a year now, ever since being
> > introduced to the concept.
>
> > Would other people be interested in seeing a coworking space be
> > launched here in the Queen City?  Would you use it?  What locations
> > would be ideal for you?
>
> > --
> > nathan longbrook
> > [P]   704.778.0533
> > [E]   longbr...@gmail.com
> > [W]  www.seeingblind.com- Hide quoted text -

Ben Ullman

Aug 1, 2008, 3:49:24 PM8/1/08
to longbrook, Charlotte Creative Catalysts
Thanks @realty for chiming in via Twitter with some ideas:

re:coworking >> you should speak with Terry Cox at www.BIGcouncil.com. she knows EVERYONE in the local charlotte biz community.

... next best thing is the Key Man Building on East Blvd (next to Starbucks). Cheap office space, $35/mo for T1 access.

(wondering what Twitter's got to do with it...? See here.)

Ben

spxds

Aug 5, 2008, 12:17:47 PM8/5/08
to Charlotte Creative Catalysts
I know this is more about the CLT area, but I've also heard of a group
in Asheville starting a co-working space there as well.

Melissa